Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    IF the truck is tuned for it, yes. 2014+GM trucks are the only ones currently taking advantage of the higher octane and adding timing for it.

Just make sure you have the flex option, easiest way to tell is yellow gas cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I have a 2014+GM. My local trips are fairly short but a couple times a season we'll travel around 3-4 hours. So just curious how much better it might tow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Although non-ethanol, regardless of the octane rating will provide substantially better fuels mileage (octane rating has nothing to do with power) most of the non-ethanol fuels being sold do not have a detergent package. Over time this will produce carbon build up on pistons and will restrict fuel injectors. So besides paying more for non-ethanol fuel; you’ll need to kick in for a good fuel detergent.

If you do use non-ethanol fuel in your boat, add Techron or other detergent package at every fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Wagon View Post
    Yes I have a 2014+GM. My local trips are fairly short but a couple times a season we'll travel around 3-4 hours. So just curious how much better it might tow.

Does your 14 have the flex option?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Default Ethanol vs non-ethanol, problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    Although non-ethanol, regardless of the octane rating will provide substantially better fuels mileage (octane rating has nothing to do with power) most of the non-ethanol fuels being sold do not have a detergent package. Over time this will produce carbon build up on pistons and will restrict fuel injectors. So besides paying more for non-ethanol fuel; you’ll need to kick in for a good fuel detergent.

If you do use non-ethanol fuel in your boat, add Techron or other detergent package at every fill up.

Octane rating CAN absolutely has something to do with power IF tuned to take advantage of it.

General rule of thumb, for each point of octane, you can add appx 1 degree of timing which on a V8 engine is appx 8-10 additional HP.

Using 93 octane in an engine tuned for 87 will gain you nothing.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Does your 14 have the flex option?

Yes

Using 93 octane in an engine tuned for 87 will gain you nothing.
    except an empty pocketbook
    that's the point to the OP. use the lowest grade fuel you can use per the engine manufacturer.

my thoughts have always been use 89 as that's what the manuf. of my last 2 boats called for and since these are car motors using plastic tanks no reason to worry about ethanol or non ethanol UNLESS it's the end of the season and going to winterize. then I try to find a non-ethanol source and don't care if it's 89 or premium(91-94). the last couple of seasons tho I have not been able to find it within a reasonable distance so I filled up to the brim and used the suggested dose of sta-bil and have not had any starting issues. this living in wisconsin where I would typically winterize in mid september and lucky to get it out again by may.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Octane rating CAN absolutely has something to do with power IF tuned to take advantage of it.
    In the context of this thread, a boat using an OEM ECM, there is no power benefit to running a higher then recommended octane.

Now, in the custom world, there is a benefit to using higher octane. But in reality, the BTU from different pump octanes is about all the same. The benefit comes from the proper ignition point, as the higher octane resists self-ignition due to the added heat of a higher compression engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Wagon View Post
    Yes

Then you should be impressed with with 30hp/40ft lbs.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post

All pump gas is required to have detergent. I am not sure where you got this from. At least in the midwest. They ALL have detergent packages. Its required.
    2019 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    All pump gas is required to have detergent. I am not sure where you got this from. At least in the midwest. They ALL have detergent packages. Its required.
    Not necessarily there’s a reason why Walmart and Kroger fuel is cheap because it’s crap and bottom of the barrel. Most manufactures will give you a list of top tier gasoline manufacturers they recommend especially if you are running a direct injected engine. Firm believer in shell and Exxon and chevron etc, I’ve seen what cheap fuels do too engines

2015 Mojo
    2005 Yamaha at-230 sold
    2012 Ram 2500 tow rig