Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jetski ran into my boat! Argh!!!

I guess I just need some reassurance, maybe a shoulder to cry on. Last Saturday we were on the lake with some family friends and one of my daughters friends. They're both 15 y/o. We were just parked in the middle, lounging after a long session of tubing for the little ones. The girls were on the jet ski and approached the boat from the stern end. My wife saw them getting to close and yelled for them to stop or turn, my daughter's friend, driving, freaked out and hit the accelerator and next thing you know the Jetski comes up the platform and up on the transom of boat. Luckily no injuries. But there was some fiberglass and gelcoat damage to the boat.

THis is where I need some reassurance. I have the black metal flake gel coat that will need repair. Has anyone had this happen? After repair, were they able to match the color of the gelcoat? , or should I expect to see a forever scar.
    Mostly I'm concerned about being able to match the black metal flake. The platform is the regular fire engine red, should be easier to match. Wonder if the repair guy will be able to order the BMF gel coat from skiers choice.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

And again, I am just relieved no one got hurt. Usually when we stop the boat the little kiddo's tend to hang around the platform to jump from and swim. All in all, I am happy it was just fiberglass and gel coat damage.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Thankfully no one was hurt.

My dealer has said they've gotten pretty good at matching gel coat flake but it takes twice the normal size of surrounding knockdown to have enough real estate to feather in the flake to not tell there was a repair.

It likely won't be cheap so you might consider submitting a claim to your insurance provider depending on your quote and deductible...

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Metalflake repair requires an expert so look for one that has done these repairs. An insurance claim would definitely occur.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

OP,

Kudos for keeping your cool.

Jet skis and kids typically don’t mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

first thing I'd do before filing an insurance claim on the boat was to sell the jetski. I'm with larry on this one only to add in some cases adults and jetskis don't mix either.
    they are basically a motorcycle on the water only most of the people that own them don't treat them with that type of respect.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The only fun on a jet ski is to drive them like an idiot, otherwise BORING.

Therefore inherently annoying and dangerous on the water.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Good gravy, tough PWC crowd. I think they’re fun as hell but often abused. And the stand up variety is double fun as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Good gravy, tough PWC crowd. I think they’re fun as hell but often abused. And the stand up variety is double fun as hell.

I will second this. A good standup is fun.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Metalflake repair requires an expert so look for one that has done these repairs. An insurance claim would definitely occur.
    The local guy in TN does a great job on flake - also does all the SC and BU warranty work for the local dealers.

The avg-joe may talk about doing a good job, but I would be asking to review the work on previous boats.
    2018 Supra SL400

I have had jet skis, last was a Honda Turbo R12X.

Fun, fast and agile, but was boring save for bat turns and submarines, cruising a couch will put you to sleep.

Wake jumping is out of line and man do the PWC’s swarm a wakeboat like flies.

Stand ups actually take skill, are more fun yes, but PWC’s are a liability and rarely follow the lake rules on direction and distance.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan