Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default kicker amp/tower speakers cutting in and out

This past weekend my two rev 8 tower speakers powered by kicker kx 400.4 amp started popping and would cut in and out. I checked the amp and it would flash on for a few seconds before turning off. Not clear if it was going into protect mode but I think it was. Ive had my current amp/speaker set up for several months without any issues with overheating or cutting out. Gain was adjusted following kicker recommendation. I checked all the connections and there were no loose wires from speakers, power, or ground. Speakers are relatively new and I have no reason to suspect any problems. My other 400.4 amp that is connected to the same power and ground had no issues and continued to work fine with boat speakers and subs. I tried to play it safe and disconnected the amp while I was out of the water for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any advice for me as I start my trouble shooting process tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by c_stein09 View Post
    This past weekend my two rev 8 tower speakers powered by kicker kx 400.4 amp started popping and would cut in and out. I checked the amp and it would flash on for a few seconds before turning off. Not clear if it was going into protect mode but I think it was. Ive had my current amp/speaker set up for several months without any issues with overheating or cutting out. Gain was adjusted following kicker recommendation. I checked all the connections and there were no loose wires from speakers, power, or ground. Speakers are relatively new and I have no reason to suspect any problems. My other 400.4 amp that is connected to the same power and ground had no issues and continued to work fine with boat speakers and subs. I tried to play it safe and disconnected the amp while I was out of the water for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any advice for me as I start my trouble shooting process tonight?
    An initial check would be to get a volt meter and check the power going into the amp, right at the amp. A low battery and/or charging system would be a culprit if it has been acting fine for several months.

EDIT: If your other amp was running fine, voltage should not be a problem. If it were me I would disconnect the Rev 8s and see if the amp stays on then. If so, put the Rev 8s on the other amp and see if the problem moves to the other amp. This series of tests will hopefully point to whether the problem is with the amp or after it.

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 07-08-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks for the response phil! Im guessing voltage should be 12+ volts. Any advice for volt meter settings and expected readings for other inputs/outputs of the amp?

Quote Originally Posted by c_stein09 View Post
    Thanks for the response phil! Im guessing voltage should be 12+ volts. Any advice for volt meter settings and expected readings for other inputs/outputs of the amp?
    I edited my other post. Sorry.... Go back and read that one and i should give you a start towards a diagnosis. The tests I suggest should maybe help pinpoint whether the issue is in the amp or after it.

A voltage check on the amp while the issue is happening, would be great info. And dont leave off the numbers after the dot. Those tenths and hundreds count. Is the amp setup correctly to run bridged 2-chnl mode? This can effect the proper gain level. Also cross-over settings, they impact the load on the amp.

A quick suggestion, I had those sample amps and mine were overheating and tripping off. Someone threw a blanket in there on them and they tripped off. There’s some type of over heat protection. Just a thought.

I'm on my 3rd Moomba now, and all 3 have had a similar problem. The speakers come in and out for about 5 minutes, then all of a sudden they seem to kick in and work fine for the rest of the day... I had cabling replaced on my last Moomba with no help... I don't know what it is, but all 3 have the exact same issue... Once they seem to kick in they are fine for the day, but the next day, the same thing - they won't work right away - music comes in and out for 5 -10 minutes, then it's fine again... Doesn't matter if I turn them on right away, or an hour after driving, it takes them 5-10 minutes to properly kick in then they work fine... All 3 boats had exact same issue (OBV, LSV, Mojo)...
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5

To follow up, I disconnected the speakers with no improvement. The voltage to the amp was 13.8. The ground is shared with my second amp. My last effort was to disconnect everything completely and re check every connection with no improvement. To add to this I was working in an air conditioned garage to rule out if the heat was causing the problem. I checked everything by using another amp that I had and it works without issue.

Does anyone have further advise about possible fixes to the amp? I hate to throw it away with it being 6 months old and used for about 20 hours at most. I have always had great luck with kicker amps and I am replacing this amp with an identical kicker marine amp. Initially I noticed some popping from the speakers and the amp cutting in and out for 5-10 second periods at a minimal volume while unloading off the trailer. The popping and turning on and off was not affected by volume. I disconnected the amp while on the water that day. After I got home and started trouble shooting, the amp eventually stayed in protect mode. What could have gone wrong? Does it sound like a potential warranty claim?

This sounds like the same issue I've had on 3 different Moomba boats with the same amps in them... If you find a solution - I'd love to hear it... If you leave them run for 15 minutes, do they eventually start working properly for you? That's what I have to do to use mine. let them run for 10-15 minutes with them coming on and off every 5 -10 seconds, then eventually they just start working... I'd think it was coincidence if it was just on 2 boats, but this is literally my 3rd Moomba with the same amps with the exact same problem...
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5

I hate to throw it away with it being 6 months old and used for about 20 hours at most
    If OEM installed, would this not be covered by Moomba and issue a replacement? If you purchased it, I think they come with a 2 year warranty.

The ground is shared with my second amp.
    Clarify this. Is one amp daisy changed off the other or their grounds terminate to the same remote ground stud on the amp board? No issue with the later.

So still getting a protect mode with the speaker outputs disconnected? Next, disconnect the inputs. This all but isolates the amp.