Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Supra SL450 having issues getting to surfing speed

I am having issues getting up to surfing speed. 2019 Supra SL 450 with ACME 15x11, 2937 prop running at 5000 ft elevation. Full stock ballast with 500 lbs in each rear locker, 200 lbs of lead mid ship with 6 adults in the boat. zero off set at 11.3 mph and can't get to speed. Funny thing is that it won't go over 3600 rpms and I know the boat can rev higher than that. It doesn't matter if I have autowake on or off. Any suggestions?

Make sure auto launch is on. And set your crossover point higher, say 90%.

The 2019 SL is a heavy boat and you probably need to dump the extra weight when running a big crew. My 2018 SL 400 would run huge groups of people with 500 lb lead and full bag of fuel no problem. My 2019 MUST be heavier because the same lead with no gas in tanks has a harder time getting and holding surf speeds.

I’m working through the same issue you’re describing. I’m still learning the new boat and will check back to see if you find something that works.
    2022 Supra SL 400 ordered!
    2019 Supra SL 400 passed on for summer fun
    2018 Supra SL 400 Arrived and awesome!
    2014 Axis A20 - Sold to a great family
    1992 Supra Comp T6SM
    1999 Nautique Super Sport

Put that extra midship lead in the bow. Would help some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be curious if your launch system is on and if it is, is it calibrated.

You can adjust it to stay deployed longer until you get it on plane.

Ryann’s suggestion of taking the crossover to 90% is what I would try. I believe factory setting is 75%.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I would definitely check autolaunch. For my boat (with the base motor + OJ950) surf speed is never an issue. Even with water ballast, lead, and a crew of over 10.

The issue for me has always been getting on plane (happens usually at ~13.5+) for wakeboarding when we have a big crew and lots of ballast.
    Last edited by Matt0520; 07-08-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    --
    2019 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Ryann View Post
    Make sure auto launch is on. And set your crossover point higher, say 90%.

The 2019 SL is a heavy boat and you probably need to dump the extra weight when running a big crew. My 2018 SL 400 would run huge groups of people with 500 lb lead and full bag of fuel no problem. My 2019 MUST be heavier because the same lead with no gas in tanks has a harder time getting and holding surf speeds.

I’m working through the same issue you’re describing. I’m still learning the new boat and will check back to see if you find something that works.
    The funny thing is that if I turn off the "Zero Off' cruise control and manually adjust the throttle it has no problems getting to speed. It seems like there is an rpm limit set at 3600 when I use Zero Off for some reason. I even tried decreasing my set speed to 10 and then trying to speed up the set speed after it locks in but won't go over 3600 rpms to get the boat to speed. I know that there is plenty more rpms on that engine. Now I've also had the boat hesitate at full throttle with no ballast at all and only 2 people in the boat. As soon as it hits around 4100 rpms it sputters and the rpm drops.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by boisebruin View Post
    The funny thing is that if I turn off the "Zero Off' cruise control and manually adjust the throttle it has no problems getting to speed. It seems like there is an rpm limit set at 3600 when I use Zero Off for some reason. I even tried decreasing my set speed to 10 and then trying to speed up the set speed after it locks in but won't go over 3600 rpms to get the boat to speed. I know that there is plenty more rpms on that engine. Now I've also had the boat hesitate at full throttle with no ballast at all and only 2 people in the boat. As soon as it hits around 4100 rpms it sputters and the rpm drops.
    Did you increase your crossover %?

Sounds like you are hitting the crossover of 75% before you hit on plane and then zero off is trying to limit your speed/rpm

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by boisebruin View Post

That sounds oddly familiar. The rpm on mine was limited to about 3600 as well surfing. Now I didn’t try it with the cruise control off. My wife was complaining about it feeling way less powerful than our 2018 and that at times it wouldn’t get up to or stay at 11.4 mph surfing. Double checked all settings. I’ll stay tuned and run the boat again next weekend. Maybe there’s a secret break in rpm limit we don’t know about. Not sure about this one.
    2022 Supra SL 400 ordered!
    2019 Supra SL 400 passed on for summer fun
    2018 Supra SL 400 Arrived and awesome!
    2014 Axis A20 - Sold to a great family
    1992 Supra Comp T6SM
    1999 Nautique Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Did you increase your crossover %?

Sounds like you are hitting the crossover of 75% before you hit on plane and then zero off is trying to limit your speed/rpm

I have not tried that yet. I will give it a go when I'm back out this weekend.
    2019 Supra SL450

Default New prop yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Ryann View Post
    That sounds oddly familiar. The rpm on mine was limited to about 3600 as well surfing. Now I didn’t try it with the cruise control off. My wife was complaining about it feeling way less powerful than our 2018 and that at times it wouldn’t get up to or stay at 11.4 mph surfing. Double checked all settings. I’ll stay tuned and run the boat again next weekend. Maybe there’s a secret break in rpm limit we don’t know about. Not sure about this one.
    Ryan,

The tech came up and installed a new prop. We are at 5000' elevation and have the 450. I think we had the 15x11.5 prop and he switched it out to a 16x13 prop. He said that the Zero Off will limit the rpms when it senses that the engine is working at max and not go above it. Putting in a more aggressive prop made it seem like the engine was getting less stress to the Zero Off sensors. I also discovered with a larger crew that if you accelerate early on then it will get to surfing speed easier.

Zac at Supra wrote this to me as well:

Yes Zero off has parameters that “limit” the engine and how hard it pushes the engine, it is strange that this is happening on your boat because we haven’t seen this on other stock boats. We can occasionally extremely overload our boats and get to do this but I wouldn’t say your boat is that overloaded. That is why I believe a new prop will solve most of this.

Another problem solving step that you could do to help us get more information is to unplug the gps puck that is in front of the starboard side windshield. If you are in a large canyon or not receiving GPS signal then the cruise system is relying on paddlewheel cruise which runs through a different software. So if you could unplug the gps in front of the windshield and the boat does the same thing it would lead me to believe the problem lies elsewhere, but If you unplug the gps and the problem goes away then there is something in the zero off logic that is limiting the engine.

Also I wanted some clarification on the boat going from 4000 rpms to <1000 rpm situation. That sounds extremely strange to me and seems like it needs to be addressed. I would say you need to take the boat into your dealer and get them to hook up diacom and see if any codes have popped up.

Matt suggested the following after above comments:

To add to this, another thought I had was check the GPS satellite status.

I have been on a boat where if you take off and the GPS has NOT locked in, then the boat can be in paddlewheel mode. The boat will accelerate and might be going a high rpm. BUT, when GPS locks in, it can take a second and the engine can drastically reduce rpm because it thinks it needs to reduce rpm to reduce speed. Again, it seems to happen the most drastic as soon as GPS locks in, but if the boat does this, then returns to correct speed, it could also be a sign of poor GPS signal, or maybe an issue with the GPS puck.

As Zac said, taking that out of the equation can tell us quite a bit.
    2019 Supra SL450