Default Bag fill timing question( I am overfilling)

2018 SA, factory ballast.

Fill time settings:
    7:30 fill time for rears and 9:00 center

I started noticing I start spilling water out of ballast vents earlier and earlier.

My assumption is my drain time needs to be increased and each time I drain, I am leaving more and more water in the ballast tanks, therefore my fill times are off more each time.

Even with the bag overflows running, I pushed one of the rear engine dividers out of place. It popped right back in, but it tells me I am way overfilling the bags.

I pulled boat out of water and noticed I could drain an additional 60 seconds worth of water before the pumps started spitting air.

Is adding an additional 60 seconds on the drain timer the right approach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Mine was doing this in my 2018 SL. I have a theory.

Do you drain/fill your ballast and use your boat a lot? I think as the ballast pump impellers get worn out, the filling is fine, but the draining is not as efficient. Maybe it has to do with the force it takes to push water out below the boat vs the water pushing itself in.

The owner's manual says 100 hours and replace the ballast impellers. I'd have to agree with that. Mine were rock solid accurate based on timers until i got to about 80 hours. Then it started not wanting to drain that well.
    2022 Supra SL 400 ordered!
    2019 Supra SL 400 passed on for summer fun
    2018 Supra SL 400 Arrived and awesome!
    2014 Axis A20 - Sold to a great family
    1992 Supra Comp T6SM
    1999 Nautique Super Sport

Only at 53 hours but still I agree fill is faster than draining.

I will say this year I started filling while moving which could explain more pump voltage and thus overfilling.

I tend to drain while idling, getting rider in boat, grabbing a beer, putting boards in rack, wrapping the ropes up etc.

Do that 4-5times and I could have 300-500# water left in hard tanks.....fill next time would only finish filling faster.

I will plan on replacing impellers this offseason as I will be nearing 100 hours at that point.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Larry, I figured out mine weren't empty all the way for whatever reason as well. There is a setting in the menu where you can put the ballast reading at 100 full for whichever side or front. I did this after it started venting out. My next trip out, they were back to being pretty accurate. Maybe that helps some.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Knox,

Thanks man. I will find that screen.

Fill each side one at a time to just start venting overflow and set to 100, repeat other side and front.

Then empty all......

Pull boat out of water and hit all 3 to drain until they start spitting air. Then take that time and add to the drain timer.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Hit your menu screen, bottom left, then ballast settings screen...you can also verify everything is empty on the ramp and reset to 0. This is where the new ballast sensors come in. We have to do it manually, the sensors do this function for you when they start to overflow.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    Hit your menu screen, bottom left, then ballast settings screen...you can also verify everything is empty on the ramp and reset to 0. This is where the new ballast sensors come in. We have to do it manually, the sensors do this function for you when they start to overflow.
    Thank you sir!!!! Found it

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I bought a used Max an d at the beginning of the season I noticed water was being left in a puddle in the bow on the floor. I found out the front bag wasn't emptying all the way causing the boat to sit bow heavy and allowing the water to pool up there. Investigation found one pump on the dual pump system for the front bag was not working.

After replacing that pump, I took the boat out totally empty (confirmed out of water). Filled one bag at a time with a stop watch running, set the fill time to the proper time. Then emptied with stopwatch and adjusted empty time for each bag individually. After doing about 125 hours I did notice fill time is taking a bit longer, but only by about 15 or 20 seconds.

I always get the bow up and empty the bags at low speed until I hear the pumps change their audio pitch so I know they're as empty as they're going to be. Bow up insures all water runs toward the rear of the bags where the pumps attach. Sometimes they turn off automatically when they reach zero on the timer, but I always turn them off and on again until the pumps actually sound like they are spitting air. It's about 6 minutes of no tunes, I can live with it knowing my boat is back at the dock empty, not burning extra gas to get back etc.
    2018 Moomba Max - 400 Raptor - 6 pump ballast - auto wake 2 - flow 2 - gps zero off