Default Rock/road debris protection while towing

I recently upgraded my wheels and tires on my truck which lead me to think about increased potential for rock chips in the gel coat. For everyone with oversized tires, what are you using if anything to protect your boat while towing?

Quote Originally Posted by c_stein09 View Post
    I recently upgraded my wheels and tires on my truck which lead me to think about increased potential for rock chips in the gel coat. For everyone with oversized tires, what are you using if anything to protect your boat while towing?
    I run 35s on a negative offset wheel and my storage unit is mostly white caliche rock that like to get caught in the voids of my Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I use Rock Tamer flaps that attach to the hitch. It's highly adjustable in height and width.

These flaps do a great job keeping rock chips off the front of the boat.

Best part is they mount to the hitch so you don't have to drive around with them if you're not towing.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I have a set of rock tamers as well. good product BUT make sure you trim them to fit with the boat attached. I bought my set the night prior to towing 1800 miles to wisconsin and didn't realize that they were dragging when I hit a dip. I should have cut a few inches off them prior to mounting them on the crossbar.

if you use them in a snowy climate tho the 2 small bolts that secure to the hitch to keep it from moving will rust fairly easy. 1 trip into wisconsin in the snow/salt and I have some decent rust going on them. my only gripe.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

X2 on the Rock Tamers
    2018 Max - Wetsounds - Wake Makers upgrade

rock tamers here as well. Like Sandm said, make sure you trim them WITH the boat on the hitch. I made that mistake as well
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Towtector for me. Does am awesome job of knocking debri down. Plus wiring harnesses can slip right through it to connect to the towing vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    twkoehn
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1100s in rear lockers
    750 lb IBS
    Acme 1847

Has anyone used the mesh type with supports mounted to the trailer? Pictures still aren't working so I attached a link to what I'm talking about.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...62217902328384
    Last edited by Skee907; 07-03-2019 at 01:29 AM.
    - 1999 Moomba Outback LS/SK - 5.7 Indmar, Monster MT2 Tower, Kenwood Audio, Pyle Wake Tower Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Skee907 View Post
    Has anyone used the mesh type with supports mounted to the trailer? Pictures still aren't working so I attached a link to what I'm talking about.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...62217902328384
    I recall these are pricey.

Rocktamers are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

seen several discussions on that front thingey for the boat and my recollection are like larry's. expensive and does nothing for the trailer.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The 16 years I had my boat I never had a rock chip on the hull. My trailer was completely pitted on the fenders and axle and I repainted the fenders once. The angle of the hull is not much different than the direction of travel.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD