Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Reminder: Never assume they are paying attention

This happened yesterday and I’m still pissed about it, and wanted to throw out a quick reminder to everyone.

It’s a fairly busy afternoon on the lake and my wife’s friend is learning to surf, she rides for a while then falls. I was eyeing a pontoon boat in the mirror the whole time she was riding, it wasn’t too close at the time but you never know. As I cut the throttle and turn around I notice it still hasn’t changed course or speed and its obviously getting closer. I figure he will see us any second and turn, but I wasn’t counting on it so I hurry back to my rider and place our boat between the pontoon and her. He still hasn’t changed course or speed, and is literally coming directly at us.

We all start yelling and waving our hands, I cannot see the captain at all because there is someone sitting in front of him. Nobody on the boat is looking forward. At this point a collision seems imminent, I can’t move the boat because he would likely kill my rider. I start laying on the boat horn, which isn’t very loud in my opinion, but I guess it carries over the water. Finally someone on the boat sees us, and gets the captains attention. I see his head pop up and he veers hard left less than 2 boat lengths before slamming us.

I’m infuriated now, as is the rest of my crew. I yell at the captain something about keeping your eyes on the f’n water, and my crew is telling them how they feel about it too as they pass less than 5’ off our bow. They then have the audacity to act like nothing happened saying something to me like “relax and smoke another cigarette”. I swear if I could have gotten on that boat I would’ve started drowning people, can’t remember the last time I completely lost my temper like that.

Anyway, I’m thinking about getting a giant compressed air horn to keep within arms reach of the helm.

Never assume the a**hole behind the wheel is paying attention, and always protect your riders!!!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

We are going to put a different horn on ours too. It has become quite the joke about how lame the horn is on this boat.. We have a whistle in reaching distance now.
    2018 Max - Wetsounds - Wake Makers upgrade

Yea the horn leaves a lot to be desired. I’ve had to use it several times and it never seems to get their attention. We will be upgrading ours as well so if anyone knows of a good, loud horn please let us know. My previous Yamaha horn had a lame sound but it was much louder and worked to alert other captains. We also carry a compressed air horn but I keep it stored in a plastic container along with the rest of our emergency and first aid supplies. I should buy another and keep it near the helm until we upgrade the horn.

Glad to hear you and your crew made it out ok from that close call. We’ve had a freakishly bad boating season here with 25 deaths on our lakes so far and near 70 boat accidents. https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...ince-1998.html
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Dude, that is scary. Last Saturday I had to wave a boat off that was following us too closely while my 11 year old son was surfing. He was pulling a tuber and I wonder if he was paying forward attention. Idiots.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Next time get their numbers and report them.

I am pretty laid back, but that would have went farther with me.

I have a bullhorn on the boat. Never been ridden up on like that, but jet skis have been told to back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    Anyway, I’m thinking about getting a giant compressed air horn to keep within arms reach of the helm.
    You don't need a giant one. I have a really small one that is LOUD!

SeaSense Mini Air Horn, 1.4oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019LZTKU..._70ZpDbPA0PV77
    2019 Supra SL450

Sad but true. Had to put the boat between some other jack wagon bearing down on us and a rider in the water too many times. I kind of like the bullhorn idea tucked under the helm for easy access. I have a fire extinguisher, spot light, and bang bang down there usually anyway so a horn seems like a good addition. I would probably go for a rechargeable one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Taylor-Made...dp/B000MTXZME/
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Sad but true. Had to put the boat between some other jack wagon bearing down on us and a rider in the water too many times. I kind of like the bullhorn idea tucked under the helm for easy access. I have a fire extinguisher, spot light, and bang bang down there usually anyway so a horn seems like a good addition. I would probably go for a rechargeable one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Taylor-Made...dp/B000MTXZME/
    That’s the one I’ll probably get, along with this to keep it in:

SEACHOICE 79361 Cruisin' Caddy UV-Resistant Marine Boat Beverage and Item Organizer, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NU8X3S..._X00pDbA9C74JT
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Yeah.. We had Capt'n Tube Douche Zigzag in front of us yesterday not paying attention. I think he learned his Lesson when his riders hit the Max Wave and were catapulted like a F-18 off a Carrier deck. We were like DAYAAAM!
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Do you not carry a foghorn onboard? It's mandatory in our state. I also carry a flare gun.
    2019 - Makai took delivery
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD