Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kenwood Upgraded Stereo

I am excited to pick up my new 2007 Outback next Wednesday. My boat show deal came on an instock Outback with the tower package, appearance package, wake plate, gravit I ballast and the upgraded stereo with MP3 capability w/4 speakers. On the test drive, the stereo was probably the least of my concern, but I did notice it was a Kenwood, single DIN with six speakers and the cockpit remote.

My question is, what model of Kenwood stereo is this? I went to the Kenwood USA marine webpage and from what I see they don't make an MP3 Marine CD Player that is a single DIN unit. SC gave me a model number of KDC-MP232 that when I researched it wasn't a marine unit.

This is my dream slowly coming true and moving on from the sterndrive days, and even though the Outback base model direct drive is on the low end of the price spectrum, I am not eager to put a bunch of money into a stereo that will play the MP3s I want to bring out with me.
    -Jay
    2008 Supra 21V

It may not be marine, It is not supposed to get wet. I run either an Ipod or MP3 and it works fine. You should have an amp for the tower speakers.

I think most folks think marine radios are over priced and cannot take much more in the way of water anyway.

SD2

When you say you run an Ipod, does that mean there is a jack for the Ipod on the standard Kenwood stereo?

No, I use the radio plug thingy

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gump
    When you say you run an Ipod, does that mean there is a jack for the Ipod on the standard Kenwood stereo?
    There are some adapters you can pick up.
    Aux in, CD changer.

Check Crutchfield's

Great, Thanks!

It'd certainly be nice to have an Ipod hooked up instead of having to constantly change cds.

I was planning on just getting the basic audio setup that's included in the factory incentives offer - do I need to get something more advanced to enjoy music on my new boat?

Forrest

Default Re: Kenwood Upgraded Stereo

Quote Originally Posted by cptmoomba
    ..........me a model number of KDC-MP232 ...
    When I bought my Outback, during the first winter I had it stored, the stock stereo got condensation in it and stopped working. Warranty, I thought, so no worries. But it wasn't covered.
    I was able to find the KDC-MP232 on E-Bay for $109.00. It was a direct replacement with no wire swapping. I just pulled the old head out, slipped the new one in, and viola. Plus the Mp-3 was an upgrade, my stock unit was just a cd player.
    The beauty of Mp-3 is that format allows you to put up to a couple hundred songs on one cd so one can take just a couple cd's and avoid the constant changing thing.
    B

My Ipod runs off the cigarette lighter, not directly to the radio.

And I am swithing more to MP3 cds since the Ipod does not float.

SD2

I went through 3 head units in a 5 year period in my last boat. It looks to me that the Moomba's location in the glove box is probably better suited for stopping direct water contact.

Anyway, thanks for your all your input. I love this site.
    -Jay
    2008 Supra 21V

I use an Ipod with the Aux jack as well. 4000 songs and all I have to do is listen and have fun.