Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Advice re Fiberglass Repair on '17 Craz I'm looking at buying

Hey guys. So my wife and I drove 4 hours to Chattanooga to look at a 2017 Craz on a consignment at a local dealer. It has 69 hours, is fully loaded with everything I want, and the interior and exterior are in excellent condition. They owner was asking $69k. I offered $64k and the owner agreed to meet us at $66,400 subject to seeing it in person and testing everything out.

We met the sales guy and a service employee from the dealer at the boat ramp and they had already launched the boat and had it at the dock waiting on us. Believe it or not, after they put it in the water and right before we got there, the guy docking the boat accidentally pulled the kill switch as he was approaching the dock (said it was wrapped around the throttle weird or something), couldn't get it restarted in time, and crashed the center of the bow (below the rub rail) into the dock at low speed. It scraped up the fiberglass pretty good. About a 6-inch long spot. Nothing structural. They said their body shop guy in Knoxville is really good and can fix the fiberglass and re-gel that area, and no one will be able to tell. They will get it to Knoxville, fix it, and I could pick it up in Knoxville next Friday. I would inspect the repair and make sure it looks really good before I stroke a check.

If we buy it, I expect we will own this boat for 10 years. Should I be worried about the fiberglass repair long-term? I.e., would it fade over time and become obvious that a repair was made? Or would the gel coat wear out faster over that spot. Anyone have any experience with repairs like this? I don't, so I would appreciate anyone's advice on this.

Also, it had not been run in a while, and when we got out there the check engine light came on and it gave the diagnostic message that there was a reported misfire with a cylinder. The service guy said it is a failed O2 sensor, which he said is a known issue with these boats, and he said they will replace that under the current owner's warranty. If that doesn't sound right, please let me know. Anyone know how much it costs to replace one of those if warranty has expired? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Max Edition
    Lake Keowee, South Carolina

Have them repair everything and let you know when it’s done. THEN come back and look at it and test drive it again and decide. Don’t sign or agree to anything until it’s fully “ship-shape” (pun intended).

Neither issue should be hard to fix, but getting them to do it after you sign on the line and pay up might be a chore. Put the onus on them to fix it first.

PS the driver was an idiot. To even be Messi g with the kill switch.

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Have them repair everything and let you know when it’s done. THEN come back and look at it and test drive it again and decide. Don’t sign or agree to anything until it’s fully “ship-shape” (pun intended).

Neither issue should be hard to fix, but getting them to do it after you sign on the line and pay up might be a chore. Put the onus on them to fix it first.

PS the driver was an idiot. To even be Messi g with the kill switch.

Odd.. Had the same issues with my boat, the gelcoat had a previous repair that didn't match and bad 02 sensor. Neither are a deal breaker, just inspect the gelcoat after the repair. Some of the moombas had cat/02 issues, so it needs to be fully checked out.
    Last edited by parrothd; 06-14-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

10-4. Thanks for the responses. I'm going to check everything closely next Friday before agreeing to buy it.

If they are talking about The Boat Works in Knoxville TN, Shanne Coffman,he does good work. He does a lot of warranty work for the BU and SC dealers.

O2 can be swapped - as others said, no big deal.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by DudewithaBoat View Post
    The service guy said it is a failed O2 sensor, which he said is a known issue with these boats, and he said they will replace that under the current owner's warranty. If that doesn't sound right, please let me know. Anyone know how much it costs to replace one of those if warranty has expired? Thanks!

I was hoping it was just a bad O2 sensor on my 17 Craz. Instead, ended up having to replace both Cats, along with new O2 sensors. Another known issue so I was told. Have them check everything and complete any and all warranty work prior to making the deal. Not sure if you're getting any transferable left over warranty but you def don't want to be paying that parts/labor bill down the road. Bright side is my dealer said they haven't had any further issues on the ones they have done this repair to...
    17' Craz

10-4. Thanks for the info. They are supposed to fix all of that under the current owner's warranty, and I am definitely going to pay for the warranty transfer with my local dealer. You are right that I do not want to be paying to replace the catalytic converters or sensors out of pocket. With the transfer, the warranty should be good through June 24, 2022. So hopefully any issues will be addressed before then. Thanks.

As mentioned above I would lake test it again just to be sure, which will allow it flex the fiberglass a little to see if the gelcoat patch hold or if it has any spider cracks after the test run.

It seems like there are a lot of different codes that pop up due to O2 sensors. Ours said Closed-Loop Gasoline bank 2 high and the dealer said O2 sensor and that it was really common as well. We are taking it in to get it fixed tomorrow. quick job and I don't have to leave it. hope that is all it is as we leave for a week long boat vacation next week.
    2018 Max - Wetsounds - Wake Makers upgrade

I appreciate everyone's input on this. The fiberglass repair turned out great (it was done by Shane Coffman of The Boat Works), and the sensor was replaced and thus far no issues. Lake tested and brought it back from TN on Friday. It has been awesome so far and such an upgrade over what we use to have in every way.