Default Replacing Raw Water Impeller in the Water?

My 2008 MOOMBA XLV is in the water for the summer and now I’d really like to replace the impeller. I tried to pull the impeller out last week and the puller I was using was difficult to use because the “tee” handle was interfering with the muffler so I gave up when I started to question whether I should do this with the boat in the water when there was a pretty steady stream pouring into the bilge. Now that I think about it I think the water was coming from the engine and not the lake or am I worng? My thinking is that since the water pump appears to be above the waterline I shouldn’t sink the boat from the lake pouring into the boat? So the question to the group is: has anyone replaced their impeller with the boat in the water?

Thanks in advance

Just to add to this, the boat does not have a shutoff valve.

I’m surprised you don’t have a shut off valve at the thru hull before the intake hose goes through the V drive.... I would double check this first. If you absolutely must change it in the water with no shut off I would get one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-long-nose-locking-pliers-63870.html?cid=paid_google%7C*PLA+-+All+Products+-+Lower+Sales+Items%7CNew+Products+-+%281%29+Price+%3C%2410%7C63870&utm_source=google& utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=sNKimAzuo%7Cpcrid%7C318476002 950%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cpdv%7Cm%7Cslid%7C%7Cproduc t%7C63870%7C&pgrid=63088204786&ptaid=aud-454408222021la-297256066520&pcid=1654049980&gclid=CMGuxfe-2-ICFYK3wAodo4AC_A

It’s what I use to pull my impeller every fall..... it’s easy to get it in the hole and clamp it down between 2 vains on the impeller. Then with a little bit of wigglying and pulling at the same time it comes right out..... Much easier than using the puller and faster too...... maybe you could also pull the end of the intake hose off the impeller housing and hold it above the water line.... I would think this would stop the flow of water flowing into the bulge and water won’t be rushing out of the impeller housing while your trying to install the new one.

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo

Your impeller housing needs to be above the waterline so lighten up the boat and check it. I had a DD so my impeller was mid-boat so it would normally be above the waterline but then I would nose up on a beach if I wanted to be sure.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Pretty sure it’s above the water line as it sits. I’m going to try to tackle this tomorrow unless someone tells me that I’ll sink my boat...lol

I have changed impellers multiple times on a 2008 LSV on the water. No problem.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Changed the impeller in the water yesterday with no issues. A bit of water in the boat coming from the engine draining but nothing too serious.

Good job, and thanks for following up on the thread.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV