Default Starter location???

Hey guys,
    I have a 2008 supra 21v with the 325 indmar assault that from reading may need to have the starter or solenoid replaced. Only problem is im haveing a hell of a time locating it. Would anyone by chance know where this would be located? I want to fix it before I become stranded in the middle of the lake. thx for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by curtdd10 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a 2008 supra 21v with the 325 indmar assault that from reading may need to have the starter or solenoid replaced. Only problem is im haveing a hell of a time locating it. Would anyone by chance know where this would be located? I want to fix it before I become stranded in the middle of the lake. thx for the help.

I circled it in blue in this pic. It will be on the port side of the engine in a V-drive. The starter is large cylinder on the bottom, the solenoid is the small cylinder on top of the starter. Typically sold as a complete unit for small block chevys.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Thx for the great illustration. I was afraid that’s where it was located. It looks like a pain to get out. Hopefully I don’t need to have to motor slightly pulled to get at it. With the side panel off it doesn’t look fun.

I don't think it'll be that bad. it's right there. sure, a little on the lower side, but plenty of access IMO
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

You can do it.

Disconnect the batteries or turn off the battery switch if it has one.

Take the wires off the solenoid (remove nut from the large terminal stud and the small terminal stud)

2 bolts to remove starter are underneath it on the square part of it.
    2018 Murder Max

I think I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Ok so I swapped out the starter and I’m still having the same issue. The battery is good and I don’t need to juggle the throttle to get it to start so I’m ruling out the neutral switch. The only other thing I can think of is the ignition switch. Maybe I need a new one. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by curtdd10 View Post
    Ok so I swapped out the starter and I’m still having the same issue. The battery is good and I don’t need to juggle the throttle to get it to start so I’m ruling out the neutral switch. The only other thing I can think of is the ignition switch. Maybe I need a new one. Any other suggestions?
    Ignition switch would be a place to start now that you know the starter is good and they aren’t too expensive. I remember on my 2008 OBV the ignition switch would give me trouble every now and then.

Also be sure to check all electrical connections, especially the battery cables. Make sure they are tight with no movement.
    2018 Murder Max

Hi z28ke. The shop is backed-up 4 weeks, gonna try and replace the starter with my son. Hoping to locate proper tools before headed down to the lake and save a trip. I see it's on the bottom of the engine, do I need a flexible ratchet? If you happen to know the sizes, i'd be grateful. (Just 4 bolts?)
    Google seems to think i can buy a replacement at autozone. is that true? (Indmar Part# 571006?)
    Lastly, the engine clicks when i turn the key so i think the solenoid is ok, any point in trying to salvage or simpler to replace the combo?
    apologies for the erratic post. Ed- 2008 Moomba Outback (direct) Indmar Assault 325

Quote Originally Posted by esf37 View Post
    Hi z28ke. The shop is backed-up 4 weeks, gonna try and replace the starter with my son. Hoping to locate proper tools before headed down to the lake and save a trip. I see it's on the bottom of the engine, do I need a flexible ratchet? If you happen to know the sizes, i'd be grateful. (Just 4 bolts?)
    Google seems to think i can buy a replacement at autozone. is that true? (Indmar Part# 571006?)
    Lastly, the engine clicks when i turn the key so i think the solenoid is ok, any point in trying to salvage or simpler to replace the combo?
    apologies for the erratic post. Ed- 2008 Moomba Outback (direct) Indmar Assault 325
    Get a marinized starter( wont spark) just in case you ever have a fuel leak you dont wanna go up in flames. Not an auto zone special. Call skidim or bakes and get one. A flex head ratchet and a few extensions and a basic socket set and you should be good to go.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater