Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat Surging/pulsing

Hi all,

I was out on the boat for our Friday happy hour last night. when driving the boat, it felt like it was surging/ pulsing. Not sure if Im describing this well, but it was consistent push, then drop off. Not real prominent, but noticeable. The instruments readings for speed and RPM's are not changing. they are steady. but I can feel the boat pushing and letting off. was running around 17mph
    New boat last year, 60 hrs. so far
    Only using ethanol free fuel,
    Winterized by dealer

Thoughts? bad fuel?, fuel filter? Fuel pump?
    Moomba Craz ‘21
    Barefoot Nautique ‘91 (traded-in)

We're people moving around on the boat by any chance? Was AutoWake on? Wondering if your center plate was trying to level. Did you notice if your bow went up and down any when it surged?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

17 is a funky speed honestly, it’s plowing versus planing and perhaps was water rough or were you crossing any wake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Did you still have cruise control active?
    I have done this before and the boat was trying to push past the set speed then dying off to maintain.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

It was just my wife and I. She was in the bow. Water was not rough, some wake from other boats, but minimal. I was at 17 because when I would push for more I wasn't getting anything. I don't think I had autowake on. I don't really use it much and it hasn't been warm enough for the kids to surf yet. Winers! I will have to check the cruise control. I think maybe that is it. I will try tomorrow morning if the rain holds off
    Thanks guys!
    Moomba Craz ‘21

Sounds like “zero off” was on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

If your speed control is set up too sensitive it can cause the boat to surge. Not sure if this is your issue but it’s worth taking a look. I don’t know if this can be dialed down on our boats though. I have PerfectPass on my Mastercraft and it was surging similarly to what you described. After dialing the sensitivity a bit the surging went away.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

The surging and the fact you said it wouldn’t go over 17 mph when you pushed the throttle makes me think you had your cruise turned on and didn’t realize it.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Ok, so it was the cruise control. I feel a little dumb, but at least it wasn't something more serious. After thinking about your replies, I remembered that the weekend before, I set cruise at 17mph when I was coming back in because our lake gets a lot of debris this time of year when the big storms roll through. That is a speed that I can hopefully spot stuff and react. Last year I hit a chunk of wood about 10" in diameter x 2' long that was floating under the surface. Cost me a prop and a week on the water. When I went out this morning the cruise control was still active. After turning it off everything was normal. Yeah!! All is good in the world again and I can sleep at night. I do find it odd that the Cruise control stays on even after shutting down the boat and turning off the power for a week.

Much thanks to all of you. I'm new to the wakesurf world. The boat I had prior didn't have all the gadgets and capabilities that this one has. There's definitely a lot to figure out. This forum has been a great resource for me.
    Moomba Craz ‘21

Yep that'll do it.
    17 is a weird speed, in my boat that would be almost on plane but not quite which is tough for the zero off (cruise control) to handle. Also awful for fuel consumption just an FYI, pop it up on plane and everything will be better
    2020 Supra SA