Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Max wave stock ballast

We looking to order a Max this fall, that being said I keep seeing everyone adding 1-2K extra ballast to them to make a huge massive wave. Does anyone have a stock ballast 3-5 crew picture of the wave that they surf? Or one with maybe 3-400lbs lead added only? I'm coming from an older D-Drive so obviously its going to beat that but I don't want to have to put in extra bags and kill the storage if I don't have to. Plus the wife wont be very happy with me if Im adding something to a new boat already. Ive surfed a few Malibu's and Nautique in the past with decent ballast and a gate added and for me they were pretty well good to go.

Big boats need big ballast. Making massive waves means you need to sink the hull as much as possible. The stock ballast they offer is not the most ideal as they need to conform to industry regulations about ballast/person capacity.
    If you want to minimize that, then perhaps something like the Craz would be a better option for you, as you won’t need to get as crazy with the additional ballast to make a great surf wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I get that 100% for a massive wave you need a lot of ballast for a big boat, as there is no replacement for weight, but you can't tell me a boat with the stock weight and a small crew doesn't have a surfable wave or just a slight bit of lead with small crew. I'm coming from a D-Drive that I can surf all day long as its dialed in, so most V-drives even stock should beat it once dialed in. I'm not looking for the ultimate wave perfect wave as I'll never be a pro, just a nice rideable wave. I figure 3-400lbs of lead might be enough if I needed to add something. And that takes up almost no space in a Max. Just looking to see what a stock wave looks like so I have an idea before we make that investment as I know not everyone can be adding tons of ballast to them. I like the Craz but we like the room of a max more as there are a few days a year I will have 12 people in it. Those days we will have the massive wave

Check out the max demo video on you tube. I believe he had stock ballast for that

You would need AT LEAST 500lb of lead weight, but I don’t think that will even be enough for the Max. I would say 1000lbs would be ideal.

I have upgraded 1100’s in the rear of my Craz as well as the center tank, bow bag and 500lb of lead weight midship, and when I have 3 guys on the boat we also add 400lb bags across the back seat and one we switch to the side bench, depending on who’s surfing what side. 5 or more and we don’t need the extra bags.

Without the extra bags the wave is technically surfable but not all that fun for adult men, with a small crew.

Again comparing the Max to an old LSV is not fair. The buoyancy is WAAAAY more in the Max.

Craz holds 15 so it’s plenty big enough IMO.

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    You would need AT LEAST 500lb of lead weight, but I don’t think that will even be enough for the Max. I would say 1000lbs would be ideal.

I have upgraded 1100’s in the rear of my Craz as well as the center tank, bow bag and 500lb of lead weight midship, and when I have 3 guys on the boat we also add 400lb bags across the back seat and one we switch to the side bench, depending on who’s surfing what side. 5 or more and we don’t need the extra bags.

Without the extra bags the wave is technically surfable but not all that fun for adult men, with a small crew.

Again comparing the Max to an old LSV is not fair. The buoyancy is WAAAAY more in the Max.

My Max is not sorted yet. I have about 800lbs amidships per side. Its not even close to being enough for the max. My Max as it is with about 6+ people is pretty legit. I need to upgrade the rears to 1200s and add a bow bag.

I am going to borrow a buddies 900lbs sac and try a few different positions to gain some more data.

I finally read up on autowake,and will Play with that a little more too.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by Surgical_ass View Post
    Check out the max demo video on you tube. I believe he had stock ballast for that
    Ive watched the video but kind of wondered what real results were vs marketing results as those can sometimes very. Plus I have about 40lbs on those riders

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post

OK next question, would you happen to know the trailer rating? Or how much lead it could handle without removing it? Thanks for all the answers very nice to know everything upfront vs surprises.

Should say right on the trailer sticker, if I’m not mistaken.

2017 Moomba Craz

Pretty sure its the same Boatmate trailer for the Max and the SA. The SA weighs 1000 pounds more than the Max stock. So any added weight up to a reasonable amount should be fine. I have an extra 500 pounds in our SA with no issue. Just make sure it is spread out some.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold