Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Toddlers on the boat

Ok SC family, I need some help.

I have a 16 month old that hasn't been out on the water yet.

She is quick, sneaky & stealthy....

She's too big for a bumbo chair.

I have the Playskool swing to hang from the tower but are there any other options besides holding her??

Some kind of car seat for the boat??

If we have a decent crew it'll be a non-issue but my concern is when there is only a few of us.

My wife calls it "mom brain" but in the blink of an eye, if every one is distracted, she could try to climb overboard.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

The seat from the tower is about the best thing we have found. A friend of ours has used a walker in the past on their boat. worked good but takes up room.
    Lots of snacks and water/pedialyte. We block the walk way to the bow so he can't get up there at all. He loves to help drive and honk the horn.
    If you don't have to many people a pack and play works well.
    We line the floor of the boat with soft coolers, he has already hit his head on the slider frame for pulling the seat back.
    Eventually they fall asleep. Even then you need at least one person to watch at all times.
    The life jacket its self is pretty restrictive. They have a hard time climbing up on the seats or siting up.
    2018 Max - Wetsounds - Wake Makers upgrade

Thats a little young in my experience. He or she will be fine for a few hours but the idea of hanging all day on the boat with a 16 month old is a bad idea. Some babies are better than others...my daughter was more of a lake baby than my son was. We started both of them at age 2, other than that we were fortunate to have Nanny and Pappa close by that would watch them anytime. Good news is they get easier and more enjoyable around 4 1/2 to 5. Now my kids are 9 and almost 12 and they burn all my gas and cut into my surfing time by going over and over and over again.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

In my experience young ones like that tend to fall asleep pretty quick on a boat. Both other posters here had good advice, I just disagree with anything that holds them in. This seems like a possible disaster in case of emergency, kinda like why boats don't have seat belts.

Best restraint in the arms of somebody that loves her/him.

if every one is distracted, she could try to climb overboard.
    This is parental failure, Don't let it happen to you.
    2018 Moomba Max - 400 Raptor - 6 pump ballast - auto wake 2 - flow 2 - gps zero off

Yeah, we know better than to try and take her out for a full day. We figured the first outing would only be a few hours to see how she responds.

To date, Abuela has been more than willing to watch her for us but we don't want to abuse our babysitting privileges

Quote Originally Posted by jimmsch View Post

Best restraint in the arms of somebody that loves her/him.

This is parental failure, Don't let it happen to you.
    Totally agree. People on Boat Owners United FB group talk about leashing the child to the driver, that seems reckless too.

We'll try rocking the tower swing when she gets tired of being held and give it a try.

Default Toddlers on the boat

Bring some type of towel or chip bag “clips” with you. You’d be amazed at what you can rig up with clips and towels to keep the sun off them when napping, and the shade helps them sleep longer too!

My 7yo has been boating with me since he was 6months old, he always took the best naps on the boat. Occasionally he still does lol, but only on the boat.
    Last edited by z28ke; 06-06-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

He was 5.5months old here!

^this summer

Enjoy the time with your little one on the boat as often as you can!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

The hat is awesome
    2018 Supra SL400

I've never been a fan of people that "leash" their kids. But when my son was a toddler, I had one of those plush animal backpacks that had a leash attached to the back... Could be damn simple to put a leash on the life jacket.

Also, the life jackets that aren't the traditional ones that are still USCG approved might be a great option for comfort.

https://www.coleman.com/puddle-jumpe...000001298.html
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com