Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying Advice for a Newb: Used 2015 Mojo, 101 hours, unknown history

Hello Moomba owners. My wife and I would like to upgrade our boat from an old 1990 Malibu Sunsetter (my parents' old boat) to a newer (but used) Moomba. Our price range is $55,000 to $65,000. I've been researching Moombas for a few weeks and have spent a lot of time lurking on the forums here. We will use the boat for surfing, wakeboarding, and for my dad to make the occasional slalom run. We have young kids (3, 5, 7), and we are looking for a good boat that will do all of those things and give us a more comfortable ride over what we are used to (the old Malibu does not handle rough water very well, as you would expect).

I found a 2015 Moomba Mojo for sale by a "private seller." I met him last night to see the boat and test it out, and it turns out he is a sales guy at a local dealership (not a Moomba dealership, just MC and Natique), and he bought this boat on the side to flip it and make it a little money. He originally listed it at $64k, and he has come down to $60k. He won't go any lower than that. The boat only has 101 hours on it. Interior is in good condition (no rips, tears, or discoloration in the vinyl), but a few scratches and minor things here and there. The carpet has one big stain in the middle of the back piece. Overall though, exterior and interior are in pretty good condition. Needs a good detailing inside and out. I love the color scheme. It drives well and everything appears to work as it should. It says it is "surf edition," so it does have the extra stock soft bags under the bow, but it has the manual flow plates. Comes with the trailer and cover, both of which are also in good condition. It has the battery charger, stock bags, bimini top. Stock stereo, no tower speakers. I realize I will need to add some ballast to get a better surfable wave out of it.

The troubling part to me is that the seller says he bought it off a guy who was under water on his loan due to a divorce. The registration on the side of the boat says 2017, so it has probably been sitting for a while unused. The current seller doesn't have any of the service records or historical information (like original list price, list of features, etc.) from the previous owner. Current seller has owned it for only a month or so. He says he has clean title. The boat checks all of the boxes for us in terms of style, functionality, features.

So my question for y'all is what do you think about the value of the boat at $60k? I haven't seen anything else in this price range that we like, but I've only been looking or a few weeks. Given the above facts, would you walk away due to the unknowns on the history and original owner or am I being too cautious? It's my first time buying a boat, so I would appreciate any opinions. Thank you.

.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Max Edition
    Lake Keowee, South Carolina

I think there has been a pretty major upgrade to the surf system since 2015. Not totally sure about this but you can always call skiers choice to verify. You may want to consider a boat a couple years newer. Autowake is a nice feature and if you understand how it works it is very effective. Have you compared cost the cost of new vs. Used? My wife and I were in the same situation 2 years ago. Ended up buying new. The price difference wasn't huge and having the warranty on our first boat was good piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tkskiles View Post
    I think there has been a pretty major upgrade to the surf system since 2015. Not totally sure about this but you can always call skiers choice to verify. You may want to consider a boat a couple years newer. Autowake is a nice feature and if you understand how it works it is very effective. Have you compared cost the cost of new vs. Used? My wife and I were in the same situation 2 years ago. Ended up buying new. The price difference wasn't huge and having the warranty on our first boat was good piece of mind.

Theres a guy in the Facebook group selling a newer Craz for that price range. You should shop around.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CZepWCvJ6LsBqp5a9
    Last edited by parrothd; 06-05-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Thanks for the input guys. Hypothetically, if price was within a $1-2k of each other and the boats were similarly upfitted, would you take a 2017 Craz with 230-ish hours over a 2015 Mojo with 100 hours?

I'm trying to figure out if I am overemphasizing the low hours.

I'm going to call the local dealership to see how far away we are on price for a new Max/Craz with what we want. I don't know that we can get there, but I should figure out exactly how far apart those numbers are. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DudewithaBoat View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Hypothetically, if price was within a $1-2k of each other and the boats were similarly upfitted, would you take a 2017 Craz with 230-ish hours over a 2015 Mojo with 100 hours?

I'm trying to figure out if I am overemphasizing the low hours.

I'm going to call the local dealership to see how far away we are on price for a new Max/Craz with what we want. I don't know that we can get there, but I should figure out exactly how far apart those numbers are. Thanks.

I'd be looking at a Max..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I'd be looking at a Max..
    Only downside to the max is it prob wont ski well. It's pretty much designed for making waves. I went with the Craz and couldn't be happier. Surfs well, wakeboards and I can take an occasional slolam run.

If you can get multiple test runs, do it. If you put the boat through all its paces and have no hiccups, I'd jump on it; pricing dependent. In other words, don't be scared about the absence of Mx records. Get the MC dealer to service it including new impeller as part of the sale and you should be set. @KnoxMojo on here is an expert at setting up the Mojo with manual tabs for surfing. I have the 16 Mojo with the auto-flow and a different (upgraded) tower. Starting with 17's and up get the autowake stuff. All that being said, with no tower speakers, I assume no FAE, and manual tabs, I'd think that you could get it less than 60. But, maybe that is more of an off season price expectation.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

You're too kind. It took me 2 seasons to dial it in. I didn't have this resource or the Moomba Supra page at the time. The 15 Mojo is a great boat, had ours for over 400 hours. Most hate the manual system, I loved it and how easy it was to dial in after understanding how it works. With the Mojo, you will want to go with at least 900s to wakemakers bag buster 1100s or so in the rear. Enzos are an option. I used 1100s rear and 500 pounds of "lead" wake. Sit more of the crew to the surf side, second or third tab position at 10.7 to 11.1 mph and have a blast! The 15 is the current hull, a version of the Supra competition hull. Throws a great wake for boarding, awesome surf waves and can slalom behind it, All in a great looking 23' package. I would advise taking it to a skiers choice dealer and paying an hour or 2 of labor to have it checked out and know you'll need to change the oil at a minimum. Best of luck! ps, mine sold at 58k, but it was fully Exiled stereo, leds everywhere and on the transom, upgraded ballast and heaters.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Thanks everyone. Really helpful information. We are dealing with in-season prices, but it does appear that $60k is a little too high. I went back to him with a final offer of $56k and said that was as high as I would go for this boat. He said to let him sleep on it. We'll see what happens, but either way I feel a lot better at that price.

if he's sleeping on it then 60k is not his bottom line bet he comes back at 58. my only concern with no records would be saltwater usage. did you have it checked out. if you know where it was originally used a call to the local moomba dealer there might reveal more to the story.
    I'm with the others in that budget another 5 bills for a full service/impeller/fluids change and then go enjoy the lake.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten