Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    The flag can also be lake specific in Texas, on Conroe, they did away with the law again temporarily. I’m sure it will be back and they won’t tell anyone until some tickets are written!
    Ya that is pretty screwy to be Lake specific. Is there a place you can go to find out which lake is and isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by csm View Post
    I believe the orange flag is a “downed rider”. So when you’re circling back to pick up your fallen rider, you’re supposed to fly an orange flag. Not while they’re being towed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ya but I am not going to have someone "working" the flag. I am either going to fly it or I am not..... Speaking of are there any good options for mounting the flag on our towers?
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    Ya but I am not going to have someone "working" the flag. I am either going to fly it or I am not..... Speaking of are there any good options for mounting the flag on our towers?
    read up on this one if it's law. idaho it can't be "mounted to the tower". has to be held by a spotter of "x" age.
    having had them all my boating years when I moved to wisconsin they don't require flags. it was kinda odd to get used to. here in nevada now I have them again.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I realize these rules are state specific. I took a boating safety course this year put on by Colorado Parks & Wildlife. The topic of flags came up.
    From the State issued boating safety guide:
    Skier-Down Flag: Colorado law requires that vessels towing person(s) on water
    skis or similar devices carry and use an orange or red skier-down flag, at least
    12 x 12 inches in size, whenever the towed person(s) or associated equipment is
    down in the water.

They specifically talked about how the flag is to be displayed ONLY when a skier is down. They said to NEVER display the skier down flag if a skier is not down in the water.

My boys are 7 & 8 so I asked about an age requirement for a spotter. The ranger told me 13. However, I read the statute and there is no restriction on age. I am going to let my boys be the spotter. If I get approached about it I am going to pull out the Colorado regs and ask that they show me where it says you my be a certain age. Nowhere I can find it.

Specific statute:
    #223 - WATER SKIS, AQUAPLANES, SURFBOARDS,INNER TUBE, AND SIMILAR DEVICES1. No person shall operate a vessel on any waters of this state for towing any person on water skis, aquaplanes, surfboards, inner tubes, or any similar devices, unless there is in such vessel a person, in addition to the operator, in a position to observe the progress of the person being towed, and capable of relaying messages to the operator. 2. No person shall operate a vessel on any waters of this state towing any person on water skis, aquaplanes, surfboards, inner tubes, or any similar devices, nor shall any person engage in water skiing, surfboarding, or similar activity at any time between the hours from sunset to sunrise.3. Any person on water skis, aquaplanes, surfboards, inner tubes, or similar devices, while being pulled or towed by a vessel, shall wear a flotation device as required in subsection 4. of section #212 - Personal Flotation Devices.4. All motorized vessels in designated water ski areas shall travel in a counter clockwise direction, except in picking up a downed skier the tow boat shall encircle the skier in such a manner as to keep him in view of the driver of the boat at all times.5. No person shall engage in water skiing, surfboarding, or similar activity within one hundred fifty feet of any harbor, swimming beach, or mooring area or any areas which are designated by posting or otherwise as being closed to water skiing except in areas designated as a ski take-off or landing area.6. Whenever a water skier, surfboarder, or person engaged in a similar activity or associated equipment is down in the water, the operator or observer of the tow boat shall display in a clearly visible manner an orange or red flag of a size not less than 12 inches square. When the towed person is actively being towed and is not down in the water, and the associated equipment has been retrieved, the flag shall not be displayed.
    She ain't pretty, but she can dance!
    1998 Mobius

1967 i don't recall if there's an actual age listed in idaho but most states should rewrite that to say 'competent person'.

I've seen 8 year old kids that I would trust with a flag before some smashed 45 year old "adults"
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

All these states that require skier down flags just add to my list of reasons never to leave TX
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD