Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Drain Plugs....Dealer removed and did not replace! Whose responsibility??

Hi! We have a 2014 Moomba Mojo. The same dealer services it every year. We have had no problems. Our son used it for the first time over the weekend, after getting it summerized. Long story short, after about 30 minutes the speed dropped to only 7 mph. The boat was taking on water. By the time he got out, the water was about 10" deep in the engine compartment. Fortunately he was close enough to the boat ramp to get back to the ramp and get the boat out of the water before it was too late. The drain plug at the back of the boat, underneath the platform, was in place. However, the center drain plug (accessed from inside the boat by removing a floor panel) was not.

I was so mad I decided I wanted a face to face discussion with our dealership. Service Manager had to leave early so I talked to the sales manager. It didn't take long before he told me it was the owner's responsibility to check to make sure the plugs are in. For one, we were never even told that there was a second drain plug (the center drain plug) so how would we know to check it? Two, the dealer has been the only one removing and replacing our drain plugs for 5 years. We rarely have even touched the exterior drain plug in the back. Why after 5 years are they telling us now it's our responsibility to check, when they have been putting the plugs in and out without us even asking?? I know, liability.

Am I crazy? Doesn't it make sense that if the dealer services the boat, takes the drain plugs out, they should put them back in?

To top it off, the dealer's mechanics did not tighten down the knob/bolt on the tower (on one side) that they used to allow the tower to be pulled forward. Our son found that before we left the dealership. I brought that up, as well, and I was told that's our responsibility, too! Yes, we should check the tower connections, but again, if the mechanic is going to pull the tower forward, when he puts it back in place, he should tighten the bolts/knobs back down.

Would love some feedback. I am pretty mad at this guy. I am hoping my conversation with the sales guy goes better tomorrow. I did not even get an apology
    Kim

2014 Mojo

I don’t give a shit who winterized a boat. You should ALWAYS check all the plugs are in place before you drop it in...And check there’s oil in the motor too. Those two items as well as running the blower before you start it are 100% necessary and practically overlooked by every boat owner.

Save yourself the headaches, and it’s only common sense.

I do t know if you have any recourse in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Your boat came with an owners manual, if you guys didn't take the time to read through it to familiarize yourself with the boat, that isn't on the dealer. I am fairly certain the center T plug was probably either attached to the steering wheel or in the driver cup holder. It sucks that this happened, but you can only really be upset with yourself.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

At our dealership they have signs that the plugs have been removed and that it is your responsibility to make sure they're replaced. Their concern is if it rains then the boat could get flooded while in the shop.

That said they and I always remove the center plug. Only once have they removed the rear plug and left it in a swim platform cup holder. Long story short I also got back on the trailer in time lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess a lesson learned to also pay attention to the bilge pump (sound or water coming over the side) or the light on the bilge pump switch.

I own a Supra, but I assume that year has a bilge pump in the center section. I did that years ago but I noticed mine before I took it off the trailer. So no big deal. Dumb of me for rushing to get the boat started that spring.
    2018 Supra SL400

Default Drain Plugs....Dealer removed and did not replace! Whose responsibility??

Drain plugs are boat 101. Sorry but a missing drain plug is on you. Own it and move forward.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Drain plugs are boat 101. Sorry but a missing drain plug is on you. Own it and move forward.

This

--
    2019 Craz

i would say its YOUR responsibility. Not the dealer.
    2019 Mondo

Sorry to have to pile on, but 100% your fault. Not only did you not know that there are 2 drain plugs you did not teach your son that there is not 2 drain plugs and you did not teach your son that the 1st thing you check is that the drain plug is in. My 9 year old daughter and 11 year old son both ask me when you are putting in..."Dad did you put the drain plug in?"
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

I clicked expecting to read about block plugs. Drain plugs are 100% your responsibility and should be on your pre trip inspection every time out.

Fuel level
    Engine oil
    Trans oil/fluid
    Plugs
    Blower
    Your friends snacks

Should be checked before every trip.
    86 Supra Sunsport
    16 MB Sports F21