Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Dublin, Ohio
    Posts
    307

    Default How many injuries have you sustained while wakeboarding?

    Iím a complete beginner and in the same boat as you (Iím 33 and bought a Craz) while learning the worst Iíve done is a catch a toeside edge which rings your bell/headache for 30-40 min and thatís it. Always get up the next morning and donít feel really any soreness. Yesterday was my 6th time up on a wakeboard. I have some partial rotator cuff tears and need some physical therapy/PRP injections but Iím being careful and even that hasnít gotten any worse.

    Wake to wake and grabs, and even inverts (if you learn them the right way) are pretty harmless. My understanding is that any spin is where you really take a beating.

    Iíve had a lot of compliments on the wake behind the Craz. Itís a very gradual ramp with no ballast, not super peaky, and very clean at lower speeds. Seems great to learn on in my opinion.

    Ballast makes the peak higher and you can get some serious air once your skill set is where it needs to be. But like a coach told me last month, ďwith wakeboarding, ballast is earnedĒ.

    Hereís the wake at 18mph. Wakeplate at 50, about 1,500 of people and lead in the boat.


    The boat surfs great stock too. 500# of lead wakes it up a bit. Really happy with it all around, was finding push 25-30í back yesterday.

    --
    2019 Craz

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    Iím a complete beginner and in the same boat as you (Iím 33 and bought a Craz) while learning the worst Iíve done is a catch a toeside edge which rings your bell/headache for 30-40 min and thatís it. Always get up the next morning and donít feel really any soreness. Yesterday was my 6th time up on a wakeboard. I have some partial rotator cuff tears and need some physical therapy/PRP injections but Iím being careful and even that hasnít gotten any worse.

    Wake to wake and grabs, and even inverts (if you learn them the right way) are pretty harmless. My understanding is that any spin is where you really take a beating.

    Iíve had a lot of compliments on the wake behind the Craz. Itís a very gradual ramp with no ballast, not super peaky, and very clean at lower speeds. Seems great to learn on in my opinion.

    Ballast makes the peak higher and you can get some serious air once your skill set is where it needs to be. But like a coach told me last month, ďwith wakeboarding, ballast is earnedĒ.

    Hereís the wake at 18mph. Wakeplate at 50, about 1,500 of people and lead in the boat.


    The boat surfs great stock too. 500# of lead wakes it up a bit. Really happy with it all around, was finding push 25-30í back yesterday.

    I appreciate everyone's views, this forum has an amazing community. I'm going to definitely give wake boarding a shot. I figured I would get some "stick to tubing" replies but I just wanted to get some feedback before I made my decision on wakeboarding. My profession is in physical therapy so at least I will know where to go for rehab lol.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Tubing causes the worst injuries in my opinion.

    I have a tube ban on my boat.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SA 400
    Michigan

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Tubing causes the worst injuries in my opinion.

    I have a tube ban on my boat.
    Agreed. My kids will attest to that! LOL Can't enforce a ban though, they keep coming back for more.
    The years have been kind, it's the weekends that have done the damage.

    2001 MobiusV - Loaded with Ballast, Exile, Blood, Sweat & Beers

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    My understanding is that any spin is where you really take a beating.
    Hahahaha .... yes!!!!

    The comment regarding not riding when you are tired is solid advise.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    I appreciate everyone's views, this forum has an amazing community. I'm going to definitely give wake boarding a shot. I figured I would get some "stick to tubing" replies but I just wanted to get some feedback before I made my decision on wakeboarding. My profession is in physical therapy so at least I will know where to go for rehab lol.
    You can't rehab your brian, my concerns aren't about broken bones and stuff. Just concussions.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,968

    Default

    Started wakeboarding at 23 and have never been injured and never had any injuries behind my boat. *knock on wood*. Take it easy and learn the basics before trying to charge and get some air. One of the main reasons I have never been injured I think has to do with my knowing that I can't afford to get injured, so I don't take too many unnecessary risks. Another important tip is if you feel like something is going wrong, LET GO! Don't hold onto the rope in an effort to save a fall, that only makes it 10 times worse. If you feel you are going down, let the rope go and try again.

    Once you start trying things that 360s, raleys, and inverts the injuries really start to happen. I have seen people break ankles and ribs, just not on my boat. I had a friend tear his lisfranc (I think thats what its called) tendon in his foot too.
    David

    2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420.

    SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Benton, LA
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Wakeboarded for years with no issues other than some bell ringers. That all changed when I progressed into inverts. I now walk around on a 10% meniscus tear. Was advised against surgery due to the risk of arthritis.

    Doesnít bother me much anymore. Ran a marathon in Feb so I guess Iím doing ok....thought I had broken myself when I did it back in 2011.

    I surf now. 38 years old.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Vancouver WA
    Posts
    4,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Tubing causes the worst injuries in my opinion.

    I have a tube ban on my boat.
    I couldn't agree more. back when I was in my late 20's we went on a houseboat trip. We wakeboarded, skied, kneeboarded until we'd felt we'd done it all. Just for kicks, we pulled out the tube. My "Friends" destroyed me to the point where I literally couldn't strap on any kind of equipment and do any more watersports for the last day of the trip. My first chiropractic visit ever followed... No thanks. My family believes that the best tube is the one you leave at home.



    That said, I've been wakeboarding 23 years. I'm almost 47 now. I don't do inverts. I got to intermediate and plateaued. (a lot of it had to do with the fact that there really wasn't any coaching available to us in the late 90s. No one we knew wakeboarded!)

    My tricks include wake to wake jumps, sometimes out into the flats. I can throw a few different grabs. toe and heel butter slides. Toeside 180's. That's about it. I've had plenty of times over the years where I've rung my bell like mentioned above. I now ride with a helmet (there's some disagreement about the whole helmet thing, but since I wear one on the motorcycle, snowboard, and mountain bike; I also wear one wakeboarding and on the wakefoil. I've knocked the wind out of myself. I've woke up with a stuff neck (minor whiplash) but honestly NO more dangerous than snowboarding. In fact, my biggest soft tissue injury was a torn MCL and partially torn ACL and that was from snowboarding, not wakeboarding. Even with full boot bindings cinched up tight on my wakeboard, my biggest crashes have ripped my feet out of the board. in both slalom skiing and wakeboarding, I've probably cut too hard for my own good and given myself a bit of "golfer's elbow" and I get some wrist ache from fatigue from gripping the handle.

    Definitely wakeboard. There's nothing else like it. The feeling of flying thorough the air is fantastic. And the feeling of gliding and cutting the the butter glassy water. It's something that surfing can't even come close to. Like any boardsport, you pay for it occasionally. But I wouldn't give it up.



    A couple years ago a friend of mine came out on my boat and did some vid for me and it completely captured my joy of watersports. Here's my commercial for that life we love! Watch it in 1080p, and if this doesn't fuel your stoke for doing all the watersports, there's honestly something wrong with you.

    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •