Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How many injuries have you sustained while wakeboarding?

After my first post you guys really helped me narrow down my boat choice (leaning towards a craz). After further research into boats and water sports in general I'm getting extremely close to purchasing a boat but want to study up on a few more things first. My question for you guys today is what injuries have you sustained during wake boarding (if any). I understand that of course this sport has dangers but want to try and get a grasp on how high a chance that there is for these (major) injuries to occur. my family that wants to learn to wakeboard ranges from ages 15-30 all fairly fit and have been active with various impact sports. None of us are looking to do a lot of the crazy tricks but have a desire to learn how to properly board and an end goal of getting some decent air and be able to eventually jump wake to wake. I expect minor injuries after each session but would rather not have a broken femur or major concussion be a regular thing. Are there many of you all who have been wakeboarding for quite a while who have never really had too many injuries?

I basically have a wall of text to find out how often you guys get major injuries to see if the adrenaline rush of wakeboarding is worth the risk of major injury for my family.

Default How many injuries have you sustained while wakeboarding?

Surf, it’s way safer.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...3DsXxfmoVX1b0J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 05-27-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Never broken just bruised. Been doing it from age 14-30.

With good gear, I haven’t had any wakeboard injuries. With old style bindings, I’d mess up an ankle from time to time and take a few hits. Nothing along the lines of a concussion. Start with slow speeds and learn slowly. And never ride tired.

I surf much more than wakeboard. I enjoy both, but still like the intensity that wakeboarding brings. I would not call wakeboarding a major risk.
    2022 Supra SL 400 ordered!
    2019 Supra SL 400 passed on for summer fun
    2018 Supra SL 400 Arrived and awesome!
    2014 Axis A20 - Sold to a great family
    1992 Supra Comp T6SM
    1999 Nautique Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Ryann View Post
    Never broken just bruised. Been doing it from age 14-30.

With good gear, I haven’t had any wakeboard injuries. With old style bindings, I’d mess up an ankle from time to time and take a few hits. Nothing along the lines of a concussion. Start with slow speeds and learn slowly. And never ride tired.

I surf much more than wakeboard. I enjoy both, but still like the intensity that wakeboarding brings. I would not call wakeboarding a major risk.
    Wakeboarding = concussions. No way around it, it's a high risk, high reward sport. If you worried about risks its not the sport for you. Kids are designed to learn and able take the impacts and bounce back without issue, adults not so much.

You're not gonna see broken bones, I've had an ACL tear, bruised ribs, and head smacks that will f you up, I started wakeboarding late like 35? Definitely a young man sport.

Better to stick with skiing and surfing and tubing.
    Last edited by parrothd; 05-27-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Wake boarding just depends on how far you want to take it. If all you’re doing is wake to wake and some grabs, you’re 99% of the time gonna be just fine. You start to really send it, and things can go sideways in a hurry. Ask my left knee. 18 years old, in good shape, Small time wake competition, and I ate it hard, tore my knee apart. It’s lucky I don’t walk with a limp (I thank my sister the orthopedic surgeon)
    I almost lost my hand at the wrist when I got tangled in the rope on a simple 360 handle pass.
    Concussions will happen, you’ll hit the water twisted up, it’s just part of a sport. If you want to be safe, play chess. Lol
    Not to scare you or be a jerk, it’s just life, you can hurt your self getting out of bed.
    Surfing is much easier on the body. But from time to time, you’ll even take a nasty hit there too. I’ve fallen on the board, had it come back and hit me, all kinds of crazy things. If you don’t know what a ‘credit card’ is, look it up skate boarding on YouTube. You’ll never wanna learn a shuvit! Lmao

At the end of the day, the chances are slim, but weird stuff happens. Just enjoy it, because at the end of the day you’re spending time with family and friends. Water sports is one of the few things that allows everyone of all different skill levels and ages to hang out, and learn from each other. To me, a few bumps here and there are worth it, I grew up slaloming with my parents before wakeboards. And I’d never trade the memories or skills. If it cost a knee, I’m still good with it, I love everything about it and will continue to wake up sore after a day on the water with with my wife and kids and friends.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Two years ago, I got way higher than usual because there were guys charging on our boat and wanted full ballast. So I was up longer than usual and came down flat on back. Couldn't do my nightly walks for six months. I was 66 at the time.

Had this boat for over 13 years -
    Concussions
    Hyper extended abdomen
    Pulled hamstrings
    Close to a dislocated shoulder (done it twice before but not on the water)

Mostly doing something stupid for the camera...

My knees were already on their way out from my younger days of snow skiing and yes, I'm sure there was a camera involved...

I'm 45 now so surfing is my thing unless it's absolute butter and then I'll maybe strap on a board for a short ride.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by strato View Post
    Two years ago, I got way higher than usual because there were guys charging on our boat and wanted full ballast. So I was up longer than usual and came down flat on back. Couldn't do my nightly walks for six months. I was 66 at the time.
    The last time I wakeboarded planned on doing a simple wake to wake, took of wrong and end up facing backwards, thought I might be able to save the landing, but caught the edge, the whip was so strong I felt all the vertebra in my spine separate in order, then smacked the back of my head so hard had headaches for weeks. I think experienced riders forget the steep learning curve in the beginning, or we forget from all the concussions.

Surfing is a little better, as with anything if you start pushing the limits it can mess you up to. I've one 2 blown ear drums, lots of big bruises and concussions.

Can we throw in the wakeskate(ouch) and the knee board of death?
    Last edited by parrothd; 05-28-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    The last time I wakeboarded planned on doing a simple wake to wake, took of wrong and end up facing backwards, thought I might be able to save the landing, but caught the edge, the whip was so strong I felt all the vertebra in my spine separate in order, then smacked the back of my head so hard had headaches for weeks. I think experienced riders forget the steep learning curve in the beginning, or we forget from all the concussions.

Surfing is a little better, as with anything if you start pushing the limits it can mess you up to. I've one 2 blown ear drums, lots of big bruises and concussions.

Can we throw in the wakeskate(ouch) and the knee board of death?
    FYI.. I'm old, go out and try it, I would suggest a trip to wakeboard park, take a lesson. See if you like it.

I left my wakeboard in wisconsin when I moved 2 years ago and won't ever look back. I only rode it behind a buddies boat as others were boarding as well. really didn't enjoy it much. never broken a bone/dislocated or torn anything and quite frankly boats are expensive enough without adding medical costs in. 50 here and I don't think I'll ever strap a board on again.

surfing is so much more enjoyable, can do it all day long without sore muscles and yet to have a fall hurt. granted it's not as exciting as a guy doing inverts behind the boat but who cares
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten