Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doomswell NEO

Quote Originally Posted by gpippin08 View Post
    Super old thread, but just ordered a discounted 2022 Doomswell Neo and want to throw aftermarket fins on it - I see blackstix have multiple versions, is the consensus that the F4 are the best, or does it change depending on weight of rider? I’m around 230 if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not a fin expert but I did ride a 4'6 Doomswell Neo with Blackstix F4's for the first 2 years of my surfing. I weighed 165lbs at the time and felt it was a good starting board. I'm pretty sure the F4's speed the board up considerably.

What size of Neo do you have?
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    I'm not a fin expert but I did ride a 4'6 Doomswell Neo with Blackstix F4's for the first 2 years of my surfing. I weighed 165lbs at the time and felt it was a good starting board. I'm pretty sure the F4's speed the board up considerably.

What size of Neo do you have?
    I got the 5’. I was tempted to go 4”10’ but wanted to make sure I was good being I’m right at the top of the recommended weight. Looking at the fins, seems they have weight suggestions too - wondering if I should go with the F8s being I’m a heavier guy

- George

2023 Supra SL450

I got the 5’. I was tempted to go 4”10’ but wanted to make sure I was good being I’m right at the top of the recommended weight. Looking at the fins, seems they have weight suggestions too - wondering if I should go with the F8s being I’m a heavier guy

When looking at fins, there are some differences in the styles/templates. Futures BlackStix for example.

Pivot Template - it's more of an upright fin. Tighter in turns. Easier to spin. but slower when you get farther back in wave. The new P4 BlackStix (yellow and black in 2023). They probably call this a size small. Other fins models are the HS2 Generations and Machado Pivot - made those in years past.

Neutral Template - These have both characteristics of the Raked and Pivot. Probably the most popular out there. If you see them online, the previous models of F4 were aqua and black color fins, not sure if they changed the color in 2023, but I think they changed color. Height is 4.37". I rode these on my Dooms Nubstep at one time and they make a difference. Chaos also makes some great vectored foil fins and flared fins too. Height is about 4.5".

Raked Template - are good for speed and carving, but harder to try to spin. Known for driving. Look up the Machado Bamboo model. I have never ridden any of these types of fins, but peeps do. Exact opposite of the Pivot and upright fin.

Lots of variables. Too many when you start reading about fins. Nothing is the BEST. It's what fits your style of riding and how it feels to you. Best if you can borrow some and ride them back-to-back during one surf session.
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 05-10-2023 at 02:53 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    When looking at fins, there are some differences in the styles/templates. Futures BlackStix for example.

Pivot Template - it's more of an upright fin. Tighter in turns. Easier to spin. but slower when you get farther back in wave. The new P4 BlackStix (yellow and black in 2023). They probably call this a size small. Other fins models are the HS2 Generations and Machado Pivot - made those in years past.

Neutral Template - These have both characteristics of the Raked and Pivot. Probably the most popular out there. If you see them online, the previous models of F4 were aqua and black color fins, not sure if they changed the color in 2023, but I think they changed color. Height is 4.37". I rode these on my Dooms Nubstep at one time and they make a difference. Chaos also makes some great vectored foil fins and flared fins too. Height is about 4.5".

Raked Template - are good for speed and carving, but harder to try to spin. Known for driving. Look up the Machado Bamboo model. I have never ridden any of these types of fins, but peeps do. Exact opposite of the Pivot and upright fin.

Lots of variables. Too many when you start reading about fins. Nothing is the BEST. It's what fits your style of riding and how it feels to you. Best if you can borrow some and ride them back-to-back during one surf session.
    Thanks for all the info and the explanations, you’re right, there’s almost too many options haha - I mean I’m mostly looking for carving and speed right now. I have read about the Chaos fins too and I’m checking them out also, again, too many options lol

- George

2023 Supra SL450

I didn't do any research into fins, only bought what jeff at soulcraft recommended and back in the day, not near as many options as today. was great to have him local in Boise at the time he started as he had quite a selection of fins to "test" but we took his suggestion and never looked back. in the end, most shapers put basic crap on the boards knowing people will upgrade and frankly, anything should be an improvement.

I don't know that I'd get too "in the weeds" with the weight recommendations unless you're going pro. have found that it's ok to be heavier but super light peeps have a tougher time maneuvering larger boards.

one of my favorite boards to ride since I started surfing in '07 is our inland surfer 4-skim. it's 4'3 and everything says up to 175lbs. I'm 220 and have had 250 peeps ride it well.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I didn't do any research into fins, only bought what jeff at soulcraft recommended and back in the day, not near as many options as today. was great to have him local in Boise at the time he started as he had quite a selection of fins to "test" but we took his suggestion and never looked back. in the end, most shapers put basic crap on the boards knowing people will upgrade and frankly, anything should be an improvement.

I don't know that I'd get too "in the weeds" with the weight recommendations unless you're going pro. have found that it's ok to be heavier but super light peeps have a tougher time maneuvering larger boards.

one of my favorite boards to ride since I started surfing in '07 is our inland surfer 4-skim. it's 4'3 and everything says up to 175lbs. I'm 220 and have had 250 peeps ride it well.
    Awesome thanks for the feedback. Ordered a set of F4 Blackstix - Neo and fins should be here Friday, and I’ll get to test it out Saturday.

- George

2023 Supra SL450

post up the differences from oem to f4's. interested to see others' takes on different fins.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    post up the differences from oem to f4's. interested to see others' takes on different fins.
    Will do, I’m planning on riding the board as is first and then switching over, will let ya know how it goes

- George

2023 Supra SL450

too many options lol

For sure. A lot more companies are making them too. You will be happy with F4s. They have made them for a few years now. I think I paid $90-100 years ago. They are probably north of $130 now.

2018 Supra SL400

I have a Nub and swapped the fins to Chaos flare fins. Night and day difference on how it rides and speed. Almost went with F4s.
    2021 Makai