Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

I read the last few days comments in the thread about wakeboarding speed, and am just very curious if many adults really ride below 20 mph? I know the ideal speed mentioned by many is 21-22, but at 210 lbs, I ride a 145 cm board and feel that the water just feels soft and squishy at anything less than high 22's. I ride at 23 up to 23.2 or so. I'm maybe just too fat, but I can't fathom any real boarding at 17 or 18 mph. I may have some serious flaws in technique if you all are really able to make cuts and get any air at those slower speeds? Maybe most everyone is just more fit at say 165 lbs?
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Quote Originally Posted by padge View Post
    Or you could just tell her it was 16mph lol. Would she really be able to tell 1 mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you're 50 and if she gets injured and finds out you miss-represented the speed.. not a good plan...

In reality its not my choice to raise the speeds, its her body at risk.

All that being said.. no I've ran both speeds and I can't perceive a difference. But see above.

A happy wife is a happy life...

True that!

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    I read the last few days comments in the thread about wakeboarding speed, and am just very curious if many adults really ride below 20 mph? I know the ideal speed mentioned by many is 21-22, but at 210 lbs, I ride a 145 cm board and feel that the water just feels soft and squishy at anything less than high 22's. I ride at 23 up to 23.2 or so. I'm maybe just too fat, but I can't fathom any real boarding at 17 or 18 mph. I may have some serious flaws in technique if you all are really able to make cuts and get any air at those slower speeds? Maybe most everyone is just more fit at say 165 lbs?
    I am 190 +/-. Yes I can get air and almost clear the wakes at 65 ft on the rope.
    Is it soft and squishy?? I don't know.. I don't run your speeds.
    Sure I'd like to pick up the pace.. but this is only our 3rd season and I've caught the front edge before and did the face plant..
    Even with USCG life jacket.. I felt that in the chest for two days... neck didn't like it either.

So in reality for wakeboarding for us: its really about going out and doing it but not taking too many risks that our bodies can't cash in on.
    so we live with what we feel comfortable with and feel grateful for what we have.
    4 years ago I didn't even think it was possible for me to wakeboard since I never owned a wakeboard boat before.
    So I guess its all situational.

Its all perspective guys...the key is to have fun...whether it be at 16/17/22/23. I am only 38 and gave up wakeboarding after 2 knee surgeries! I live another day and can surf 7 days in a row if all I do is surf!
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
    Yes I can get air and almost clear the wakes at 65 ft on the rope.

Just a suggestion, if you are intent on riding that slow, you both need bigger boards for more surface area and also shorten to rope to 55, at most 60, until you can comfortably to wake to wake without taking those tough diggers. Casing the wake is all about technique and using your legs an like shock absorbers.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    I'm not even that great at wakeboarding and I ride at 21 simply because that's what I have to do to get a cleaner wake on my XLV. But I'm pretty confident I could get plenty of air (especially on a clean wake) at 17. I haven't really tried because the last time I rode at that speed was with my kid when he was 10. But if I have extra time, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'd bet I could cut just as hard at 17mph as I could at 21mph. I know to teach inverts, my coaching friend slows the boat way down to give riders more time to figure out their tricks...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Dunno how I missed all this thread... the 17 SA will most definitely throw a clean wakeboard wave from about 15mph and up. Just takes a little front ballast and the wake plate. My 11 year old daughter wakeboards around 17. I’m trying to find pics but my phone is usually for music. I’ll have to get some from the wife.
    As far as surfing goes, SA is hard to beat to get a ridiculous wave without needing the ballast an SL or SE does.
    Plus, the upside to the newer supras no one mentioned is the 102” beam. Yes you have that massive bow, but the SA is more like a 23-24’ boat on the inside. Get on one, you’ll never believe it’s only 22’8”. I’ve had 10 adults on it surfing, no one was cramped.
    I have no experience with the SG/SC series, but you won’t be disappointed in the SA. I’m also slightly biased. Lol... but it will do everything you’ve asked plus give you all the creature comforts you want for about the price you want. And they’re still new enough to keep the warranty.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    Dunno how I missed all this thread... the 17 SA will most definitely throw a clean wakeboard wave from about 15mph and up. Just takes a little front ballast and the wake plate. My 11 year old daughter wakeboards around 17. I’m trying to find pics but my phone is usually for music. I’ll have to get some from the wife.
    As far as surfing goes, SA is hard to beat to get a ridiculous wave without needing the ballast an SL or SE does.
    Plus, the upside to the newer supras no one mentioned is the 102” beam. Yes you have that massive bow, but the SA is more like a 23-24’ boat on the inside. Get on one, you’ll never believe it’s only 22’8”. I’ve had 10 adults on it surfing, no one was cramped.
    I have no experience with the SG/SC series, but you won’t be disappointed in the SA. I’m also slightly biased. Lol... but it will do everything you’ve asked plus give you all the creature comforts you want for about the price you want. And they’re still new enough to keep the warranty.
    Sweet! Thanks that's what I was hoping.
    Now we just have to decide.. wait for a reasonably priced 17 SA near us with decent colors OR order a new 2020 Max.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
    Sweet! Thanks that's what I was hoping.
    Now we just have to decide.. wait for a reasonably priced 17 SA near us with decent colors OR order a new 2020 Max.
    Used SA>new Max

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan