Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Supra SG/SE vs Moomba Max

Hi everyone: New to the forum.

So my wife and I are looking at switching out of our 2011 VLX.
    We are 50 this year, so wakeboarding for us now is around the 16 mph range to keep the potential injuries down (we are intermediate level). The VLX produces a great wake down at that speed, however while she surf's.. we've outgrown it.

So I've narrowed the search down to a Supra SG/SE (2015 driven by $$) or the 2019 Moomba Max.

We wet tested a used 15 SG450 yesterday with stock ballast but it wasn't dialed in for surfing or wake boarding.
    The 2019 Max we wet tested (yesterday as well) had all the newest goodies (autowake/G6/Swell 2.0) and also round two surfing included additional 1,000 ballast or so (round 1 just stock 3K ballast).

So here's the dilemma folks and hoping I can get some honest undistorted feedback, please.

We're 50 here folks so I really don't want to go over around $90K for the boat (before taxes).
    Time and ease of use are also priorities when now out on the water.. work is hard enough.. play should be as little frustrating as possible.
    Everything I've read or seen online is that the 15 SG/SE's are great wakeboarding and surfing..
    Unfortunately not experiencing that yesterday during the wet test (in the water with surf and wakeboards) puts a sliver of doubt in our minds especially when dropping this kind of coin.

The Max however just flat out ripped. Wakeboarding down at 16 was clean (even in less then perfect conditions) and the surfing was great (stock and extra Plug/Play)!
    However the Max.. well she ain't the prettiest girl in the world. Its kinda hard moving back down from the top tier boats to the value line boats once you enjoyed all the things of the top tier ownership.

And this is the 100 million dollar question for us:
    Risk going with older surf system's with some learning curve for dialing in the boat (assuming she can produce the goods - plan to upgrade rear ballast on the SG/SE to the 1,320 lb bags if we do this boat route) but have the top tier boat experience again.
    Or go with the latest tech, ease of use, amazing value for the performance of the max?

It would be an easier decision if we had experienced a better wet test of a dialed in SG/SE but that didn't happen.
    Can the first gen SE/SG put up the goods wakeboarding down at 16 mph and surf amazing?
    Right now its really hard not to go with the proven yet not the prettiest girl of the max especially considering price/warranty/autowake/G6.
    We both were really impressed with the Max.. that boat is an enigma in my opinion.
    We both want however to like the SG/SE all things considered.. but performance is questionable.. especially considering the Max for substantially less money.
    This is a really hard decision.

thanks again.
    Andrew
    Last edited by andrewd; 05-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
    Time and ease of use are also priorities when now out on the water.. work is hard enough.. play should be as little frustrating as possible.

Or go with the latest tech, ease of use, amazing value for the performance of the max?
    I think you kind of answered your own question

max will get you a warranty that should anything go wrong it's fixed and no worries.
    do understand the need for a wake at 16mph. that can be a tough find(and primary reason my cousin bought 2 'bu's for the boarding wake for the kiddo's-although current model quality has him looking elsewhere). if you saw a wake you like out of the max at 16 and knowing it'll surf that's where I would lean my $$ especially if the supra demo was not what you are looking for.

good luck either way and post pics once you seal the deal.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Another question: It appears the max is about 12' top of tower up.
    Anyone know yet of a cover with tower down like the new supra's?
    Thinking I may give evolution covers a ring on Monday and see what he can do if there isn't anything available.

good luck on the "national" company route if one's not offered. I tried evolution and another big name in the midwest and both offered covers tower up but neither had templates for tower down and didn't want to make one. ended up using a local company and nice thing was dropping the boat off and talking through exactly what I wanted.
    was somewhat pricey at $1600 but it's all sunbrella, protects boat from bow to over the swimplatform and down to the wheels on each side and local warranty for life.
    once on you cannot see any hull unless your down on the ground. perfect for the summer sun.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Where did you ride a SG - at a Dealer?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

The 2015 SG had 3200k of are ballast and Swell 1.0. Most 15s, SGs or SEs have upgraded ballast systems if they are on the market now. Should have been able to show you something. A 15 should not be close to $90k.

2015 to 2019 had a lot of improvements. That was the start of improved surf systems each year.

Sounds like you liked what that Moomba was dealing.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Not at a Supra specific dealer. They were honest and a malibu dealer. We were rushed a bit on schedule and they not being Supra specific.. I don't think it was a great combination. Hence my question: I really want to know.. can the 15's deliver a nice clean wakeboard wake at 16 mph or at least 17?

The surfing was ok, better than our VLX but nothing that said OMG. That's not the information I've seen all over the web. They are supposed to be kick butt. So again I think it just wasn't dialed in. It was only stock ballast.

What I am hoping is the 15's are good enough and from what I've digested over time.. its really incremental not revolutionary between Swell 1 thru 3.
    So if Swell 1 is 90% of Swell 3 version in capabilities and clean wake.. that's good enough.
    But she wasn't that impressive on that outing. I am hoping it was just not dialed in.

The max however kicked butt... what was most impressive was set and forget mentality.. mild chop and wind and wake boarding was pretty darn clean at 16. I was impressed. Surfing with stock ballast and 10'ish mph, great. Got better with a couple 500 lb'ish bags under midship seating.. She's an impressive albiet bland package.

We want the supra.. I suspect for the price we may end up with a max. What I'd really like is a SE/SG with Autowake but she gets pricey pretty darn quick going from 15 to 16 to 17's.
    Last edited by andrewd; 05-19-2019 at 09:01 PM.

The SG will get there, they didn't know how to set it up. Just curious, if looking at a 19 Max, that's at a dealer? Did you look at the Craz Pro or Mojo. They have quite a bit more in the creature comfort category. Who told you Swell 1.0 was about 90% of Swell 3.0? The demo dealer? Swell 3 is way ahead of where Swell 1 was at, not even a close comparison. Its more than just the plates. For the money you're willing to spend, you could also be looking at lightly used Supra SA and SR with transferable warranty. Where are you demoing boats?
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
    Not at a Supra specific dealer. Hence my question: I really want to know.. can the 15's deliver a nice clean wakeboard wake at 16 mph or at least 17?
    If you are wakeboarding at 17mph w/o ballast, you will find better Supars results from the smaller hulls - SA or SR/SC. The SG is about the same as the SA, but I have not been on one at low speeds (<20+). I agree with KnoxMojo and also looking at the Mojo or Craz.
    2018 Supra SL400