Threaded View

Default Supra SG/SE vs Moomba Max

Hi everyone: New to the forum.

So my wife and I are looking at switching out of our 2011 VLX.
    We are 50 this year, so wakeboarding for us now is around the 16 mph range to keep the potential injuries down (we are intermediate level). The VLX produces a great wake down at that speed, however while she surf's.. we've outgrown it.

So I've narrowed the search down to a Supra SG/SE (2015 driven by $$) or the 2019 Moomba Max.

We wet tested a used 15 SG450 yesterday with stock ballast but it wasn't dialed in for surfing or wake boarding.
    The 2019 Max we wet tested (yesterday as well) had all the newest goodies (autowake/G6/Swell 2.0) and also round two surfing included additional 1,000 ballast or so (round 1 just stock 3K ballast).

So here's the dilemma folks and hoping I can get some honest undistorted feedback, please.

We're 50 here folks so I really don't want to go over around $90K for the boat (before taxes).
    Time and ease of use are also priorities when now out on the water.. work is hard enough.. play should be as little frustrating as possible.
    Everything I've read or seen online is that the 15 SG/SE's are great wakeboarding and surfing..
    Unfortunately not experiencing that yesterday during the wet test (in the water with surf and wakeboards) puts a sliver of doubt in our minds especially when dropping this kind of coin.

The Max however just flat out ripped. Wakeboarding down at 16 was clean (even in less then perfect conditions) and the surfing was great (stock and extra Plug/Play)!
    However the Max.. well she ain't the prettiest girl in the world. Its kinda hard moving back down from the top tier boats to the value line boats once you enjoyed all the things of the top tier ownership.

And this is the 100 million dollar question for us:
    Risk going with older surf system's with some learning curve for dialing in the boat (assuming she can produce the goods - plan to upgrade rear ballast on the SG/SE to the 1,320 lb bags if we do this boat route) but have the top tier boat experience again.
    Or go with the latest tech, ease of use, amazing value for the performance of the max?

It would be an easier decision if we had experienced a better wet test of a dialed in SG/SE but that didn't happen.
    Can the first gen SE/SG put up the goods wakeboarding down at 16 mph and surf amazing?
    Right now its really hard not to go with the proven yet not the prettiest girl of the max especially considering price/warranty/autowake/G6.
    We both were really impressed with the Max.. that boat is an enigma in my opinion.
    We both want however to like the SG/SE all things considered.. but performance is questionable.. especially considering the Max for substantially less money.
    This is a really hard decision.

thanks again.
    Andrew
    Last edited by andrewd; 05-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.