Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Questions about upgrading just the rear ballast bags on a Max.

Does anyone have pics of a Max with upgraded rear ballast bags?

I’m trying to see how much they fill the rear lockers and how the wave looked if that is all you upgraded. I really don’t want to lose storage if I add midship bags since we stow our cooler, floats, anchor and everything else in the midship lockers. I was thinking of upgrading the rear bags to 1200 lbs or more and then buying 300 lbs of lead to split midship. That would give me about 4500 lbs of ballast without losing midship storage. Thoughts on this approach or pics of your Max setup if it is similar? Would this amount of weight + a crew of 3-6 people give a much larger wave over stock or are midship bags a must for a big wave in a Max? I mean I'll reorganize my midship items to the bow and ob storage if I have to but I'd REALLY love to retain a lot of the midship storage if possible.
    Last edited by haknslash; 06-13-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

My understanding of my Max is 1000lb port and starboard, 1000 bow stock. If you upgrade to 1200's in the back and add 300 lead, I'm not getting your math. Originally, I thought my dealer was adding extra to the back, but they put in midship under the seats. Which I was fine with. My wife not so much, so we had to order the rear bins and it's spendy for shipping. I was told the bins would NOT fit if I upgraded the rears. That said, I just surfed for the first time yesterday and the wave seemed awesome with my setup. 4k total. I'm sure more is better, being a noob it will do.
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

Sorry yes my math was way off lol. Meant to say 600 lbs of lead split 300 each side giving me a total around 4000 lbs of ballast. At first I wanted those bins and then read you can't use them if you upgrade to larger rear bags. I mainly use the rear lockers to hold my surf boards and filler cushion during trailering. When surfing those are never going to be in the rear lockers so I'm fine with using the biggest bag I can safely fit in there without causing any issues with the side panels. Got any pics of your wave?
    Last edited by haknslash; 06-13-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

No pics of the wave yet...we finally got the break in hours done and surfed for the first time on Wednesday. We only had about an hour for three of us to try it out so I didn't think to get any pics. It looked clean and had a good curl (I've studied everyone else's wave). Eventually I'll add some lead to the front.
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

I asked my dealer about putting lead in the plastic trays. Seems people here use about 200 lbs. He suggested instead putting the lead beneath the bags. Saves on storage and you still get the extra weight.
    2019 - Makai took delivery
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadyus View Post
    I asked my dealer about putting lead in the plastic trays. Seems people here use about 200 lbs. He suggested instead putting the lead beneath the bags. Saves on storage and you still get the extra weight.
    I didn’t option mine with the side trays since you can’t use them with larger ballast bags. I use the large center tray for fenders and wet life jacket/rope storage.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    I didn’t option mine with the side trays since you can’t use them with larger ballast bags. I use the large center tray for fenders and wet life jacket/rope storage.
    I know you were thinking about getting them. Just figured maybe you could do that also. Add the lead below your bags so you didn't have to buy new bags and still have most of that storage back there.
    2019 - Makai took delivery
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD

Haknslash or Kirby (not to highjack the thread) did you all opt for Zero Off or just paddle wheel for cruise? I know I would never use the mapping so its for sure cut from my build want list.

No Zero no maps. Just paddlewheel. I'd never need the map.
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

Thanks that's the direction I was thinking, plus save some $ that I can put towards something else.