Thread: Stuck Prop

Default Stuck Prop

Any advice on removing a stuck prop? I removed the nut from the end of the prop shaft, near the prop. The prop was not on the shaft very tight. I can get the prop to slide on the shaft about an inch and a half. It appears the problem is the key is stuck to the prop. The prop will slide on the shaft, but when the key hits the threads of the prop shaft it stops. I have tried to push the key further up the shaft, but it will not budge. The prop and the key move together.

The prop is in perfect shape. I think someone installed it incorrectly (I bought the boat in the fall). 98 Mobius DD if it matters.
    She ain't pretty, but she can dance!
    1998 Mobius

The prop is a taper fit to the shaft and shouldn't be lose. Sounds like your key has deformed since it was taking all the force and you will have to drive it out with a punch.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer! I was able to drive the key out using a 3/16 punch and my 3 lb mini sledge hammer. Kind of nerve wracking pounding on the key/propeller like that. I wound up wedging a 2 X 6 between the ground and the underside of the prop shaft, right against the webbing of the prop. Of course I was swinging the hammer right next to the rudder as well! All's well that ends well I guess.
    1998 Mobius

Eff Me.

1998 Mobius

Quote Originally Posted by 1967Goat View Post
    Eff Me.

Well now you've learned how to to fix both.. Lol.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Got the coupling off. Had to break out the 3" angle grinder and metal cutoff wheel to cut the coupler off. No way that coupling was coming off with just a puller. Previous owner must've hit something, which explains the almost new prop. Lucky for him someone (factory maybe) installed a brass key on the coupling end. I have new brass keys for both ends now. Dealer told me I had to get a new shaft along with the new coupling. $340 for both, so I went ahead and ordered them. I hope they come in by this Friday so i can finish this up. Also ordered new strut bushings. Those came in yesterday.

1998 Mobius

Got the coupling off. Had to break out the 3" angle grinder and metal cutoff wheel to cut the coupler off. No way that coupling was coming off with just a puller. Previous owner must've hit something, which explains the almost new prop. Lucky for him someone (factory maybe) installed a brass key on the coupling end. I have new brass keys for both ends now. Dealer told me I had to get a new shaft along with the new coupling. $340 for both, so I went ahead and ordered them. I hope they come in by this Friday so i can finish this up. Also ordered new strut bushings. Those came in yesterday.

Next time put a large nut in between the coupler plates and then use some longer bolts to compress the coupler . It'll push the shaft out right off.

The bolt for my harmonic balancer puller is a 5/8-18 thread with a 15/16 head. I had a cheater bar on the wrench, so about 3' of leverage. Damn thing wouldn't budge and it was screwing up the threads on the bolt. I was also gonna try heating it up with some map gas, but decided just to cut it off.
    1998 Mobius

The bolt for my harmonic balancer puller is a 5/8-18 thread with a 15/16 head. I had a cheater bar on the wrench, so about 3' of leverage. Damn thing wouldn't budge and it was screwing up the threads on the bolt. I was also gonna try heating it up with some map gas, but decided just to cut it off.
    Ahh.. Thought you went right for the nuclear option first...lol