Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default V Drive Storage Locker Bins

I've been rubbing on the design of a drop-in bin for V-Drive lockers that can be manufactured from flat ABS sheet by bending on a press brake. I was inspired by the new bins in the Moomba Max (and current Axis offerings), but molding - or even thermoforming - requires tooling specific to each design. My approach allows for nearly infinite configurations at no tooling and minimal design cost. I'll probably make a few prototypes next week. I'm looking for suggestions and gauging interest from the community.

The idea is to keep a common design and only modify length/width/depth/lip dimensions. Cutouts could be added easily for gas struts or latches that need to be dodged. 1/8" or 3/16 textured ABS plastic cold bent on a press brake then seams secured with plastic rivets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm in....I would love to have something for my lockers and even over the engine!
    2016 SA 450

I think there is a ton of interest in the community, not just for storage lockers but more specifically for an engine tray. Do an engine tray that will fit a Craz/Mojo and I'll send you a paypal....
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I have a Craz on the way, so that would be my first focus!

+1 for the Mojo over the engine tray!!
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

I've got some more thinking to do about the over the engine tray. I need to get details on my material choice with respect to the heat and larger span in that compartment. Also, the corners are not fully closed so I want to consider where water ends up when wet stuff ends up in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd be interested in side locker trays for a Mondo.
    2019 Supra SL450

I've used 3/16 textured ABS and made a box similar to yours (not for the same purpose). I didn't have the press so I made a shallow cut along the lines, heated the cut and bent the side up. Then I plastic welded the corner. Holds up well and it can take the heat. I started to use the ABS for a simple Jeep project but the plastic seller would only sell me a 4x8 sheet and it prompted me to use it elsewhere. Good stuff and strong.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Good to hear! I've test bent some 1/4" that we had around and it ripped a little with the bend radiuses that I wanted. but I think the thinner material will be fine - I'll have a sample soon. These things are going to eat up some material - the example box that I have shown is 30" x 18" x 12" deep with a 2" flange and takes most of a 4'x8' sheet (enough such that you couldn't get a second part out of the drop) that are price just under $100/sheet. I may be able to get larger sheets to fit more than one part per sheet and make less scrap.

The ABS should be able to hold up to the head of the engine bay, these engines run about 30 degrees cooler than normal automotive engines and the exhaust is cooled as well by water. I also thing the trays used in the Max are ABS. My only concern is with the perpendicular flange sides not being connected it would be sacrificing strength. I just sent RickT a message asking if they plan on coming out with anything to satisfy the growing demand for these among Mondo, Mojo, and Craz owners.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD