Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Subwoofer and battery question

I’m thinking about going with a jl 12w7 powered by the m1000/1 since it can go to 3 ohms and it’s very budget friendly. I’ve seen some videos of setups done by liquid rides and it seems to be pretty rocking. I’m just wondering though is it enough power since it drops to 800 watts? Also pros and cons of dry cell batteries vs deep cycle? Btw it’s going in a 2019 mojo that will be here shortly

800 is also the spec at 14.5. Drops to 650 at engine off battery voltage. Honestly, id go with the 12W6D4 with the M1000/1. With those 3 ohm specs, you are not getting the return on investment with the 12W7.

If the boat has the OEM installed charger, you are going to be limited to a small Ah house bank, whether wet cell or AGM.

If your plan is to drop anchor and crank the tunes for hours upon hours, drawing down the house bank, an AGM will live longer with repeated deep cycles. For normal cruising and an occasional anchor time, then a wet cell will serve you well.

rpk, I would agree 100% with mla on the sub choice. I had jl 12w6's in my supra and first tige and LOVED that sub. the current boat has a 13w7 in it and it's friggin massive, eats up most of the storage under the jockey box and weighs as much as a teenager. frankly I'd swap it for a 12w6 if I knew someone that would so i could get it back under the helm.
    12w6 is a pretty easy sub to stuff under the helm and at the party cove, we rocked pretty hard using an arc audio amp in a sealed box. iirc it was a ks1200.1
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I’m personally trying to get the water shaking, the 12w6 was probably plan c, with plan b being either an hd 1200/1 or Shash 1200/1 on the 13w7, but I see a lot of you guys on hear talking about how good the w6 is but I’ve also heard 1 w7 is louder than 2 but I’ve personally only heard Rockford and wetsounds in boats.

if you want to shake the water the w7 will do it fo sho. it's a very large speaker and tradeoff will be lack of storage.

if you're near las vegas, buy a 12w6 and I'll gladly give you my 13w7 it's coming out at the end of the season when I FINALLY have a garage to work on the sound system in.

Quote Originally Posted by rpk2016 View Post
    I’m personally trying to get the water shaking, the 12w6 was probably plan c, with plan b being either an hd 1200/1 or Shash 1200/1 on the 13w7, but I see a lot of you guys on hear talking about how good the w6 is but I’ve also heard 1 w7 is louder than 2 but I’ve personally only heard Rockford and wetsounds in boats.
    You are looking at the right woofer, but wrong amp. The 12w7 certainly has an excursion advantage over the 12w6, but with only 800W rms to the 12w7, you may not really take advantage of that extra excursion. It power to move and control the woofer.

Stretch the budget and go with an amp thats going to deliver at least 1200W rms to the w7. 1600 would be even better.

Stretching the budget was what I was trying to avoid�� any stereo shops in the Texas Arkansas area that might have some demos? Who knows the w6 seems to please 90% of people on the forums seem to be happy with the w6 but I also see people who want a lot more. I just don’t know yet because I haven’t heard any besides free air subs and rockfords

I would but I’m in texas and I wish I had your skills to do the the stereo myself or stretching the budget would be easier haha

stereo install is not hard. lots of good folks on here that will walk you thru the install. just have to posses time and some basic electrical knowlege.
    now building and installing a box is a whole different conversation. need some solid woodworking skills to make one as pretty as mla churns out.

mla is right tho that if you want to shake the lake the w7 is the way to go but it wants/needs tons of power. and good clean power at that.

Whatever route I decide to go I assume I’ll need a custom box. I’ve seen some cool ones that have either lexan or acrylic that I was gonna either have my the local shop where my parents live build or someone in the Houston area.