Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Post 16 Mondo (50hrs) vs 18 axis a20 (carryover new)

Hi Everyone! Been reading forums for months and everyone here is great. First time poster as we get close to purchase. Looking for thoughts/opinions/advice.

A used 16 mondo came in on trade and looks to be in mint condition. The dealer is trying to steer us toward a 2018 carry over axis a 20 for about 8k more.

We've been searching for a 16 or up mondo for months as surf gear is a priority. We looked at the a20 months ago but were turned off by the play pen.

All this being said, does anyone have perspective on pros/cons of each, drastic differences in performance/model years, or just a general opinion on if there is a clear choice?

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, will be a HUGE help!

I just bought a 2019 mondo, but looked at every 20-21' boat on the market extensively. I started out wanting the axis. If you would have asked me when i started my search that would have been the boat.. mind was pretty much made up. That was until i looked at a number of them. I couldn't spend the money they were asking for that kind of craftsmanship.

The moomba fit and finish was an entire step up from Axis. Now, not saying axis sucks, its a good surf boat and probably easier to set up than my mondo. But it cost about $2000 more and it looked like a childs lego set. Tiny black and white screen, the dash is sad at best, fiberglass strings hanging in the underseat storage, piping on the seat cushions didn't line up correctly, plastic cup holders that fly out over 30 mph, and on 2 of them the windshield didn't close as it was 1/4" off. Now i can look past some of these things, but i can't justify 80k on a boat built like that.

it reminded me of a boat someone bought and never took care of, but this was a showroom boat. With all these things being there, if the price was lets say $7k or 8k less i would probably overlook most of it and just take care of it myself. But for the price the moomba is far more boat. (2019 vs 2019 comparison).

my biggest worry was how long before the axis started falling apart. If it wasn't showroom ready to begin with, i felt i would be chasing little things for the life of the boat. ON the plus side, they look sharp, surf well (but will have a considerable amount more bow rise), and will probably perform for any water sport you want to do. But i am a quality guy, i research for quality stuff when i spend that amount of money. Axis just didn't fit that category. They have to do better.
    2019 Mondo

first off, you are not going to get any advice on here to go buy the axis as it's a skiers forum but assume you know that already
    any reason why a 20ft boat if you mention surf? spent a lot of time on a mondo from wisconsin and will say the mondo hull is a GREAT wakeboard hull and a decent surf hull however a longer boat is going to net you a longer wave.

that said if you are limited/sold on 20ft, jason is pretty much spot on. axis interiors look like a 10 year old put them together out of the rejected 'bu parts bin. they will put out a good wake but at the expense of laughing at the inside of it. my cousin has had 2 new 'bu's in the last 4 years and was switching to nautty due to perceived poor fit/finish moving from axis to 'bu so it's all the way up and down the company. he had over 100hrs on each boat and mentioned squeaks/rattles and panels coming off. cutting corners/costs to gain profitability for the shareholders.
    the mondo I spent time on: wakeboard wave was fantastic compared to my 22ft at the time but surf wave was limited, mostly due to a 20ft hull. I don't recall he had any mechanical issues at all. boat was very solid. interior held up very well. boatmate trailer was 100% better than the metalcraft pos I had under my boat(that can be dealer specific). pulling skiers boat was easy to drive and once I learned the skiers screens, electronics were easy. rode very well in chop.

good luck and no matter which way to turn lots of family memories ahead.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

What’s the price tag on the mondo if you don’t mind me asking because if you can potentially afford 8k more on a axis I’d keep looking for a bigger moomba boat in your price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mojo
    2005 Yamaha at-230 sold
    2012 Ram 2500 tow rig

Turned off by the Playpen bow? Why? I wish Moomba and Supra were still offering them. it's pretty fantastic to have a HUGE storage locker under the bow. I can fit 3+ boards in mine. And it's my wife's favorite place to chill out on the boat. Flip up backrests and all. Plus the flip up backrest makes an instant wind screen. It's great having that extra rear facing seat next to the driver too. I can't say enough good things about playpen bows vs a useless walkway.

That said, sounds like you're getting some good advice on the boats overall compared to each other.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Here are some notes I have with a 2018 Mondo that I have:

1) Fit and Finish - Moomba interior fit and finish is hard to beat for the pricepoint. I haven't driven an Axis...but sat in them at boat shows...and even the Helix finish is nicer in my opinion.
    2) Surf Wave - I run a pretty decent wave for a 20 foot boat...but as SandM said...a 22 or 23 foot boat has more displacement.
    3) Ballast - You will have to upgrade your ballast to get a comparable wave to the Axis A20 out of the gate...it comes with PowerWedge + 2300lbs of ballast...so just not a fair comparison. I run 2x1100s in the rear lockers(probably fill to 1000 each) and the 500 hard tank + 500IBS that came stock. I scatter 500 lbs of lead and then move one of the original 650s around if I only have 1-2 in the boat while surfing...it makes a great wave for the size and is better than stock Craz or Mojo's that I have ridden...just took lots of tinkering!

I do feel like for a 2016 with 50 hours...you should be a little cheaper than 8K off of a brand new Axis though...I haven't regretted buying my Moomba...and would buy another...probably looking at a Max as my next upgrade...bigger = more displacement while still getting to keep some storage!
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

Fantastic advice! Thanks everyone. In response to some previous questions

1) We've been looking at Mondo & Craz. Our lake is smaller (Approx 300 acres) so not a lot of big boats. Problem is, at our price point ($55-$65K) there are just not a lot of Craz popping up on the market. So we've been focused more on the Mondo with eyes on NXT and also A20.

2) Playpen- Our old boat (ancient invader RIP) had the walk through and I think this is just a matter of "scared of change" and fact that we will have multiple people sitting up there most of the time. With walk through, that seems like a 3 person area but with playpen more like 2.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm soaking this all up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman1 View Post
    Fantastic advice! Thanks everyone. In response to some previous questions

1) We've been looking at Mondo & Craz. Our lake is smaller (Approx 300 acres) so not a lot of big boats. Problem is, at our price point ($55-$65K) there are just not a lot of Craz popping up on the market. So we've been focused more on the Mondo with eyes on NXT and also A20.

2) Playpen- Our old boat (ancient invader RIP) had the walk through and I think this is just a matter of "scared of change" and fact that we will have multiple people sitting up there most of the time. With walk through, that seems like a 3 person area but with playpen more like 2.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm soaking this all up!
    If it were me, I’d rather wait a bit and get the bigger boat. You can find 17-18 Craz’s in the 60s for sure.

--
    2019 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    If it were me, I’d rather wait a bit and get the bigger boat. You can find 17-18 Craz’s in the 60s for sure.

You may want to look claz.org for moomba craz, several boats in your range.

I never buy boats locally, have the owner take to the dealer and get it water tested, usually $150 then have it shipped via uship.

https://claz.org/classifieds.html?q=...=10000&l=65000
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

check out onlyinboards.
    it was $1300 to ship my current boat last september from oklahoma to las vegas. smooth transaction and excellent shipper. found him on uship as noted above.
    I didn't do or pay for a water test but did have a local bass/tooner boat dealer do a once over to verify it's condition and hours. wasn't a local wakeboat dealer close.

and if surfing is your primary goal, I would, as mentioned, hold out or search for a 22ft.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten