Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery type

Default Battery type

I have a 2018 Supra SL I put the two 27D that comes with boat in parallel and on bank 1. Added another large 4D battery on bank 2. This is how I have done it with my Seadoo 18ft utopia and also my 2007 malibu 23 lsv. This is what’s needed for a stereo this powerful so you can listen for a long time and not drain battery.

I don’t think I left any electronics on and my bank 1 was dead. So started boat with bank 2.i think only the auto bilge is hard wired to battery. And I had no water in boat so don’t know what caused bank 1 to be dead unless I made a mistake and left battery switch on or if the alternator is broken,

When I started boat with bank 2, voltage level is 14 volts which should imply the alternator works. However after running boat I switched to bank 1 and ran above 3500 rpms for an hour and shut off boat and bank 1 was only at like 10 volts . So maybe it takes longer than an hour to charge a dead battery and I understand an alternator shouldn’t be used to charge a dead battery or could damage alternator.

I called Supra mechanic and was super disappointed . First off , all these boats have a popping noise thru audio when starting boat. Huge flaw and I know it’s caused by the huge voltage drop when starting these engines and they put in too small batteries . Mechanic called Supra and they said it was designed this way. So a $160k Boat was designed to give a huge pop to stereo ? What an idiotic response.

Then mechanic says Supra says only 27D can Be used and non AGM. I asked why and he says cause this boat is very sensitive to voltages. Another idiotic response. So we spend $160k on boats and this is the technical service we get ? They should explain the technical reason.

Since when does a boat not support AGM batteries ?

And as long as you are not using alternator to charge dead battery , there’s no reason you should not be able to use a battery larger than 27D. And if so then what’s the technical explanation ?

And the 4D resolves the audio popping issue which will eventually blow the speakers

Any one out there that had the knowledge to comment ?

Joe mama

I'm not sure if it's in the Supra manual but it seems related to why you aren't supposed to run the boat in 1+2. Differences in battery banks could cause a voltage issue that can damage sensitive electronics.

"Skier’s Choice installs a 4-position battery switch on any boat equipped with dual batteries. It is recommended that both batteries
    be fully charged between each use to insure they can deliver the electrical demands required for each outing. The purpose of our
    recommendation is to utilize one primary battery for all operational needs, and have the other as a backup if the primary battery
    discharges. This situation could occur if you run your accessories such as ballast or stereo for a long time, without running the
    boat. The dual battery setup is designed to create a redundant system allowing the user to have a backup battery. The switch
    must be in the “1” or “2” position to create the redundancy.
    The 4 positions available on the battery switch are: Off / 1 / 2 / 1&2. These choices indicate which battery is being used to power
    the boat and which battery is being charged by the engine’s alternator. We recommend using only position 1 or 2 while boating.
    Battery switch position “1&2” is available but not recommended as power will be drawn from both batteries and the alternator
    will have difficulties keeping both batteries charged simultaneously. It also creates a ground differentiation which in turn will
    create issues with sensitive electrical components such as
    the Vision screen. The only time you may need Position 1 &
    2 would be in an emergency situation where both batteries
    are low and need power from both to help start the engine."

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Yeah the amp pop at start up is FN annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I was told by skiers choice to run the boat in 1+2 to avoid the stereo pop. Well the other night that left us stranded. I wish skiers choice would address this issue. I think they hope the problem will magically heal itself. Has anyone had any luck with a different battery set up?
    2018 Supra SL
    2013 Nautique 210
    2011 outback v
    1992 Sunbird

I guess it was not explained to switch to 1 or 2 when anchored?

I have never had stereo pop upon start up, that goes with starting with battery one, two or one and two together. Also my dealer installed an AGM battery in my boat, it's what was in it when I took delivery. Strange they told you not to use one. I love AGM, adding water is a PITA.

I also run my boat in 1+2 all the time unless im anchored for an extended period with the stereo on, then I used just 2 (2 GC batteries wired in series). Guess I need to stop that.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

RD, I think the popping is more of a Supra thing with the ICE system than what happens on startup with the Moomba's. Our Mojo never popped, but there is a slight pop on the SA, but not bad enough for me to worry about right now. I was also told to run in either 1 or 2 after crank up, not both, as running both may stress the charging system. Not sure how true that is, but not had any issues running it like that yet.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

I have always run in 1+2 when starting up and when surfing, wakeboarding, etc. When I get to party cove I switch to battery 1 or 2.

I do have the loud pop on start up and cannot get rid of it starting with battery 1, battery 2 or battery 1+2.

I would think that after the "thermal event/bad alternator scare" that they just had that we would get a definitive answers to questions concerning this and a resolution to the popping on startup from Goose or one of the Tinkers.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

MLA, you have any thoughts on the Supra voltage drop pop and running all the time in 1+2 stressing the charging system or not? Could a larger ground be ran or even a cap added to maintain a certain level on crank up? I know mine isn't bad, but I have been on a few that sounds like everything is bottoming out its so loud. Can't be good long term for the system
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

I got thoughts and I laugh at the premise that the electrical system is to blame. The power system can't be changed. The equipment connected to the power system needs to be adaptable. Component line filtration is required for sensitive electronic equipment. Look into a L or Pi filter. They are normally built into systems but not every manufacturer does this.

Isolating the electronics from the starter at startup should never cause noise unless the cables are so close to induce noise. Running banks 1 and 2 should occur when the engine is running.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD