Thread: Sweet smell??

Default Sweet smell??

I thought I read somewhere that if you get a sweet smell that it is leaking or burning antifreeze. That makes sense because I was a little low on antifreeze, and when I pulled the drain plug the water coming out, the water had the smell in it ( I think when i fill my ballast too much I get some water in the hull, or the hoses are loose somewhere). Can someone confrim the sweet smell and what to look for? I can't see any leaks but the water might have washed it away. I'm not the most mechanical but learning.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsunrider View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that if you get a sweet smell that it is leaking or burning antifreeze. That makes sense because I was a little low on antifreeze, and when I pulled the drain plug the water coming out, the water had the smell in it ( I think when i fill my ballast too much I get some water in the hull, or the hoses are loose somewhere). Can someone confrim the sweet smell and what to look for? I can't see any leaks but the water might have washed it away. I'm not the most mechanical but learning.

Thanks.
    Do you know if you have a closed cooling system designed for salt water use? If not then your engine probably doesn’t use coolant and the smell could be residual RV antifreeze that may have been spilled on your engine during last fall’s winterization. If your engine does use coolant then the smell could possibly be the coolant. Keep an eye on the level on the next outing. If your boat is large enough to social distance in you could also bring along a friend with mechanical knowledge to diagnose the issue. Make sure to keep an eye on your engine oil as well. If the oil appears creamy you probably have an issue that requires a major repair. Cheers
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop