Hybrid View

Default De winterization guide?

Is there a good resource on how to de winterize your boat to get it ready for the summer? This furom has always been super helpful. I have a 2018 moomba craz.
    2018 Craz, 3000lbs stock ballast, ENZOs, 500lb Lead Ballast, Still chasing the best wave!

I back mine into the water and start it.

Oh, put the plugs in! That’s huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If winteriezed correctly, launch boat and enjoy the day. No reason for a boat to not be turn-key ready for new season.

With that said, some shops choose to leave boat engines with plugs out and hoses disconnected, in order to relieve them of liability if an owner chooses to launch boat for an early spring run, then not re-protect engine and another cold snap happen, and block freezes and cracks.

So unless you know the state that the engine was left in during winterizing, its best to talk with shop that did the winterizing, to find out what needs to be done for making it ready for summer.

Agree with MLA, talk to the shop - it may or may not get you the answers.

Before you want to take a bunch of people out, take it to a boat ramp, back your truck in and leave the boat on the trailer, start her up an look for leaks. Have a light and tool box ready if you need to tighten any hoses. Pretty easy - look for water. If you have time, let her warm-up. People also do this in the driveway with a fake-a-lake or other source of water.

P.S. - this will not work at a busy boat ramp @ prime time - you will not make friends.

P.S.S. - don't be that person on Facebook who forgets the transom plug(s).
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    I back mine into the water and start it.

Oh, put the plugs in! That’s huge.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    If winteriezed correctly, launch boat and enjoy the day. No reason for a boat to not be turn-key ready for new season.

With that said, some shops choose to leave boat engines with plugs out and hoses disconnected, in order to relieve them of liability if an owner chooses to launch boat for an early spring run, then not re-protect engine and another cold snap happen, and block freezes and cracks.

So unless you know the state that the engine was left in during winterizing, its best to talk with shop that did the winterizing, to find out what needs to be done for making it ready for summer.
    Our local shops leave plugs out and hoses disconnected, I'm sure for the reasons you state, but also to get another $100+ out of you.
    2019 Supra SL450

I SMELL A STINKY LITTLE SCAM.....

Yeah my houses are all disconnect for water and the block cracking. I will put them back on and fake a lake it. We had the oil changed for service right before winterizing. Should it be good to run 20ish hours and replace it?
    2018 Craz, 3000lbs stock ballast, ENZOs, 500lb Lead Ballast, Still chasing the best wave!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowslydder View Post
    Yeah my houses are all disconnect for water and the block cracking. I will put them back on and fake a lake it. We had the oil changed for service right before winterizing. Should it be good to run 20ish hours and replace it?
    How many hours?

If your boat is already broken-in (sounds like it might be for a 201, I think the Indmar manual calls for every 50-75 hours depending on your use.
    On average, if someone uses the boat 80-100 hours/year, change in the middle of the summer and the end of summer when winterization occurs.
    If you were a heavy surfer and that is all you did, then 25-50 is more appropriate.

Last summer a friend of mine did - Not sure where he came up with it:
    1) 10-20 during break in
    2) 25 hours for 2-3 changes
    3) Once the boat has over 100 hours, then every 50 or 2x a summer

Opinions will vary, just like what type of oil to use.
    2018 Supra SL400

They left all men out. Took about 15 min to get ready.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

typically when I winterize my boat, I drain all the fluids and blow out all the lines. Then I reinstall the hoses and drain plugs (because in the past I left the plugs out on my old boat and got some rust). If there's no water in the block or hoses, it can't freeze and cause any problems. So when it's time to put the boat back in the water, I put all my ballast bags back in, load in all my gear, and put it in the water and play.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com