Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Ken View Post
    No too sure what wiring your trailer has on it, but my 2017 Boatmate trailer came with a 6 pin straight connector that plugs in to a 6 straight to 7 round pin adapter then in the 7 pin receiver on my truck.

I turn on my headlights manually (on auto does not work) to disengage the trailer brakes when backing up.

Different.... but it works...
    LOL. sounds like your running lights of your truck are connected to the reverse circuit of your trailer. That's not cool! that means that whenever your headlights are on, you don't have working trailer brakes!!! Um, sorry I rear ended you and jackknifed my trailer and my boat is sliding down the freeway. I had my headlights on!!!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    LOL. sounds like your running lights of your truck are connected to the reverse circuit of your trailer. That's not cool! that means that whenever your headlights are on, you don't have working trailer brakes!!! Um, sorry I rear ended you and jackknifed my trailer and my boat is sliding down the freeway. I had my headlights on!!!
    Sorry... I should have been a little more clear for you..... As explained and demonstrated to me by my dealer, for my surge brake to disengage to allow me to back up without the trailer locking up, I must, in this order, manually turn on my headlights, then put the truck in reverse. By simply putting the truck in reverse OR having the headlights on alone, it will not disengage the brakes.

Again... it doesn't make sense to me, but it is the only way to disengage the trailer brakes other than using the pin.

My apologies also, I have a flat 5 pin, not 6 pin on my trailer.

I hope you feel safer now.
    2020 Moomba Kaiyen > Finally on my lift!
    2017 Moomba Mondo > Traded
    2000 Moomba Kamberra > Traded

Sorry... I should have been a little more clear for you..... As explained and demonstrated to me by my dealer, for my surge brake to disengage to allow me to back up without the trailer locking up, I must, in this order, manually turn on my headlights, then put the truck in reverse. By simply putting the truck in reverse OR having the headlights on alone, it will not disengage the brakes.

Again... it doesn't make sense to me, but it is the only way to disengage the trailer brakes other than using the pin.

My apologies also, I have a flat 5 pin, not 6 pin on my trailer.

I hope you feel safer now.
    I would think something is not wired correctly here. I have never heard of this process being needed before.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Something is not correct, between the trailer, the truck or the dealer. Headlights should have zero to do with energizing the reverse lockout solenoid. 12V from the truck's reverse lights energizes the solenoid when you put the truck in reverse. No other steps needed.

My previous trailer was simply put my truck in reverse which then disengaged the solenoid and away I went.

When I picked up my boat from the dealer, connected the 5 pin to a 7 pin with an adapter, put the truck in reverse to back down to the ramp to launch the boat for the test run the trailer locked up. My dealer then explained to me the lights before reverse scenario and it worked fine. He never said it could be a wiring problem, just the what had to be done for it to work.

I only trailer my boat twice each year 2 km to put in and take out of my lake and if I forget the headlights prior to reversing.... lock-up. I scratch my head over it too.
    2020 Moomba Kaiyen > Finally on my lift!
    2017 Moomba Mondo > Traded
    2000 Moomba Kamberra > Traded

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Something is not correct, between the trailer, the truck or the dealer. Headlights should have zero to do with energizing the reverse lockout solenoid. 12V from the truck's reverse lights energizes the solenoid when you put the truck in reverse. No other steps needed.
    ^^^^this.

My previous trailer was simply put my truck in reverse which then disengaged the solenoid and away I went.

When I picked up my boat from the dealer, connected the 5 pin to a 7 pin with an adapter, put the truck in reverse to back down to the ramp to launch the boat for the test run the trailer locked up. My dealer then explained to me the lights before reverse scenario and it worked fine. He never said it could be a wiring problem, just the what had to be done for it to work.

I only trailer my boat twice each year 2 km to put in and take out of my lake and if I forget the headlights prior to reversing.... lock-up. I scratch my head over it too.
    I think that your adapter must not be transferring the signal correctly. Your dealer educated you on a "work around". And I totally get it that for the minimal amount you trailer, it's probably not a huge priority to chase it down.

Again, I suspect the following:

1. If your headlights are on Auto, it's probably not dark enough when you're launching to have the headlights come on.
    2. If you have it on auto lights and it's daylight, you're getting no 12v+ to the lockup circuit on the trailer, because the truck's running lights aren't on.
    3. If you put it in reverse, that SHOULD be delivering the 12v+ to the correct wire on the trailer plug. But it appears your reverse from the truck is going nowhere.
    4. If manually turning on your headlights is sending 12v+ to your reverse circuit on your trailer, that's the only thing that's really making the solenoid lock up. It wouldn't matter if your truck was in Neutral, park, Drive, or reverse. Forcing your headlights ON delivers the 12v+ to your trailer to lock it out. The dealer could have said that you needed to turn on your headlights, turn the stereo to Sat Radio, and listen to country music, then put the truck in reverse, and roll down only the drivers side windows. (but as long as the lights are on, your solenoid will disengage).

Again, you probably don't care enough to mess with it, but about 5 minutes and a test light and I'd be able to tell ya what's really happening and why. Again, I suspect it's the 5 to 7 adapter isn't right.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Trying to be open minded to this issue. Do your back up lights come on when the headlights aren't?

This would make sense as to why the dealer's suggestion works.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

to the OP. keep in mind that there are different wiring setups that don't use the center pin for reverse... for example, there's this diagram where the center pin is for Auxillary power and there's no reverse circuit on the trailer. (this is how the wiring was on my single axle RV trailer)

Again, with a test light, you can see what pin on your truck is the reverse circuit and then verify what's happening on your adapter harness and if it's the pin that the trailer is needing.

Obviously this way is certainly more common. but that doesn't mean it's how your truck is setup..

in fact, on my buddy's BMW X5, he had to take it into the dealer when he added a hitch and the factory tow harness so that they could program the car's computer to know it had a hitch with the USA wiring diagram. the wiring diagram for europe is different!!!!
    Last edited by trayson; 04-23-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

has anyone had any issues with boatmate trailer brakes when towing with a 17,18.19 Chevy Tahoe, Silverado etc...? Trying to determine if its my truck or trailer.
    2019 Mondo

don't know if there's a difference in a '16 but no issues with my 16 silverado towing a boatmate trailer. now my trailer is from '14 and has the 5 wire straight plugged into a round 7 adapter and into the truck from there but it's plug and play with brakes deactivating as advertised.

my reverse and brake lights on the trailer are backwards from 1 side to the other but I think this was a wiring fubar from boatmate.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten