Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wake shaper VS surf system?

So I’ve only gone surfing behind boats with a wedge and suck gate/wake shaper. It really made a huge difference in how clean the wave was behind the boats with no surf system. My wife and I recently purchased our first boat (2018 Moomba Craz) with Autowake and Flow 2.0. I’m wondering with the surf system already equipped on the boat should I try throwing on a suck gate/wake shaper to clean up the wake or do I leave that part up to the Autowake and surf system? We haven’t taken delivery of our boat yet so I’m not sure how good or bad things are going to look, just figure this would be the best place to ask.

Any ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not hear about new boats with new surf systems running suck gates.

Most folks are adding the necessary weight and time to get the desired settings with your crew size. Takes a little time on any boat.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

That seems to what I’ve been reading, just add more weight and play with tabs/plate locations.

Search for the “autowake questions” thread and start reading.

You have a modern surf boat with an excellent surf system, just learn to use it and you will be thrilled.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

ive been on a stock craz and it sucks. you will need much more weight then let the surf system do it's thing. some patience, tuning, and time will have that wave killer with the right amount of weight.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

When you all say add more weight, simply 900 rear bags to 1100’s and front from 500 to 750?
    Or will I need to get lead weight placed around too? If so approx how much?

Keep in mind the wife and I are no pro surfers by any means but I understand that learning with the wake where it’s suppose to be will make it easier.

110’s at a minimum in the back, 750 up front and get about 800# of lead to move around. That’s what the Rinkers guys run in theirs.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Thanks for posting this question. I have a 2017 Mojo (bought last may) and have searched the internet for an answer to this very thing. Seems that a wake shaper is a great enhancement for older, non-wakesurf boats and had wondered if this was worth the investment. I just need to play around more with my lead and people placement. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boodaghost View Post
    Thanks for posting this question. I have a 2017 Mojo (bought last may) and have searched the internet for an answer to this very thing. Seems that a wake shaper is a great enhancement for older, non-wakesurf boats and had wondered if this was worth the investment. I just need to play around more with my lead and people placement. Thanks
    I personally wouldn’t use a shaper on a modern hull with an integrated surf system. I would learn to use the surf system engineered for your boat along with reading the Autowake thread versus throwing a bandaid suction cup on the side of your awesome boat.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I personally wouldn’t use a shaper on a modern hull with an integrated surf system. I would learn to use the surf system engineered for your boat along with reading the Autowake thread versus throwing a bandaid suction cup on the side of your awesome boat.

I used to use a wedge on my previous boats, then I got a craz with a surf system. The wedges don't compare to the new surf systems and autowake. You can try it but it's not worth the effort. The surf system is far far far better. Plus it's automatic, easily switch sides and with autowake allways the same wave.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead