Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Changing engine need to remove flywheel to rebuild and transfer to new motor.

Hi, haven't been a while since on, been working out of town away from my Moomba. Came back and Blew two head gaskets at the same time and filled the engine with water, engine had over 1600 hours so I purchased a 383 stroker built for a boat and am now switching engines as well as seats and compounding out the gelcoat. Kind of a complete redo. Right now I just pulled the engine and see I need this drive wheel and not a regular flywheel (new to boat engine configurations). How do I get that fly wheel off? Is it just a straight pull off or is it attached somehow? Are they rebuildable as I see it's rusty and a couple of the springs are rusted to the point they could come apart. I searched the forum but didn't see anyone that had done this before. Can't find a detailed service manual either. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks
    Rick - River Livin' - 2003 Outback LS - Indmar Assault 350 EFI

The part you are referring to is a drive plate and it is not rebuild able. If it is the original plate in a 2003 model, it should be replaced. The recommended plate is P/N 885203. That plate is especially important for a 383 stroker because they typically have a rough idle and the rubber encapsulated springs in the 885203 drive plate help keep down transmission noise.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Thanks Larry, that sure saved me some headaches. I will start looking for it now. One other thing, there is a sensor at the bottom of the timing chain cover. The new engine does not have a place for it. Do you know what it is and is it necessary? I don't really want to pull all of that to change covers if it's not necessary. Thanks again for great info. Tried to attach a picture but not as familiar with the site as I should be.

Without a pic it sounds like the sensor is the crank position sensor and you need it or the engine wont start.
    04 LSV

Thanks Mike, I think I attached a picture, it's in the manage attachment line? but I will look into that sensor. This is a completely different engine with a new injection electronics combo and have no idea where a crank position sensor would even hook to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yea that’s the CPS. What kind of management system is the new one? Is it a complete engine with wiring harness/ecu?
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

A 2003 model does not use a crank sensor. There may have been one in the cover but it was not connected to anything. We did not start using the crank sensor till the 2006 model year.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Thanks Larry, thanks for the conformation. I didn't think there was any electronics on that model.
    Mike's comment prompted me to start reading over a few things, z28ke, the management system was a package. Injection and ignition (throttle body, distributor, CDI, coil and Handheld Controller) that is supposed to be self programming and learning. The diagram below shows for rotation it will be hooked to the distributor and as one thing leads to another, during the programming start-up there is a part about 2 fans which I will work around since there are no fans. I'm old school points and jets, and limited as it is in that process and now that I have time and back hobbies I'm trying to bring my knowledge up to speed since I do like working on my stuff myself and the programmable fuel delivery and ignition stuff.

My fear now is not knowing what I don't know. I really appreciate these forums and you guys who share your knowledge and experience. Heck, I have a cousin that lives across the river from me who held the top fuel Volkswagen drag records in 79' and 82' (featured in magazines) and National go-cart track records due to building his own engines and still is working on his own hotrod projects and when I mentioned not knowing this new stuff and posted pictures of what I had he said "Cool, just read the instructions". So, I do appreciate you guys.

Well, I am in the process of buffing and polishing the gel coat on the back of the boat so I can fasten back in the lifting tabs and pull bar that fit behind the gas tank to be able to hook up the fuel system. Get the final parts on the engine here, paint pieces and brackets, make 2 brackets then set the engine and connect everything. Maybe I can find someone local to give it a look over before trying to start it. If it doesn't start I won't know why.

Thanks again guys and I'll be in touch.

PS, Larry, I ordered the drive plate. Thanks

larry kicking ass with indmar info

Mike, yes Larry is. I received the drive plate and now they are making them completely enclosed so I'm really glad I didn't try and use the old one. I have gotten away from the Indmar engine but the rest of the info is great. One little change leads to another issue to work out so it has created a timely process right now. One instance is the new intake manifold didn't accept the thermostat housing without hitting the manifold so had to use a spacer which now the pre-molded hoses won't work and the thermocouple didn't fit in the spacer holes so looking for blockoffs I went to a speed shop who does boat engines also and in talking about me project he threw terrible shade over the fact that I was using a FiTech injection saying it would ruin my engine. Advised to get a different type and look up the problem with them. So I have and there are quirks, like all the others and poor customer service but I haven't seen any engine damage and mostly good forum reviews so just stuck with that in my head right now before finishing up the engine.