Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pennies for ballast

Doing some math I think pennies might be an option for cheap compact ballast.

$91 of pennies is 50#, lead wake is $60 for 50# shipped.

But return on investment is 100% which equals free ballast.

I believe you can order bulk pennies rolled from the bank.

Would need to add bags to keep dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Doing some math I think pennies might be an option for cheap compact ballast.

$91 of pennies is 50#, lead wake is $60 for 50# shipped.

But return on investment is 100% which equals free ballast.

I believe you can order bulk pennies rolled from the bank.

Would need to add bags to keep dry.

Context here is key....OP has six figure boat, is exploring cheap ballast option

Pennies would get you your return on investment, assuming the bags are strong and waterproof so the coins don't corrode together.

I do think you may lose some form factor as the steel shot bags conform easily to whatever they are placed on/in....but I applaud the creativity and the effort to keep the US Mint running

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Let me ask it a different way.....what is the market for 500# of lead wake? Shipping used lead wake would be prohibitive, so local sales likely a must?

To me it’s not the cost, $600 is not a big deal, it’s how do to get rid of it when I no longer need it?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Let me ask it a different way.....what is the market for 500# of lead wake? Shipping used lead wake would be prohibitive, so local sales likely a must?

To me it’s not the cost, $600 is not a big deal, it’s how do to get rid of it when I no longer need it?

I'm just messin with ya but I get your point.

If the boat had to go, getting rid of the lead would be a pain.

Local Facebook group or Wake club would probably be the best bet.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Maybe most sell lead wake style ballast with the boat.

I don’t think I have ever seen “used” ballast for sale. Technically it should hold majority of value as it’s not a wear item.

Upon further research, I guess my idea is not an original thought, dammit. I thought I was smart..... SMRT.....I mean SMART.

But the idea is interesting still.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Why could you not ship your bags the same way that the people that make the bags shipped them? They ship them in United States post office “if it fits it ships box” I think...

Default Pennies for ballast

I am sure you could ship that method....in 3-4 usps boxes for $60-$80. (3 bags per box??)

500# shipped sounded more daunting at first.

Great point, have not bought lead yet.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Why could you not ship your bags the same way that the people that make the bags shipped them? They ship them in United States post office “if it fits it ships box” I think...

Correct on this. The US Postal truck backed up to my garage. 10 boxes. Each 50# bag was in one of those std boxes.

To date, people on the Facebook page are always looking for lead or someone who can make lead bags for steel pellets.

Depending on where you live, CL should work if have other Wake Boats around.

Pennies . . . . . cool idea.
    2018 Supra SL400

Maybe you could get a bunch of used pennies from Canada. They don't take pennies anymore. So I chucked the handful I had out on the street. LOL
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

^people like you paid for a major vacation for my ex and I.

saved change for 6 years. filled a glass jar- well a 10gallon jug. took us almost a week to roll it all. several at work said your crazy for rolling it but in the process found a handful of real silver dimes/quarters. took to bank and after the shocked looks of the clerks, deposited almost $3100. granted we had bills in there as well to the tune of $400 but rest was all change. paid for a week in Fiji.

some of that money was from people tossing into the street and yes, I pick it up.

worked for walmart a few years ago and had to read a story titled pennies matter by sam walton. talked about as the company got bigger they removed the cents off the balance sheet. he went ballistic and said as soon as you stop saying pennies matter you stop caring about profits.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten