Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post

I left yesterday and we were at 3 pages LOL!!
    WW aint got nothing on us .. lol

winter doldrums definitely taking its toll up north
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default Polar Bear 2018 Video

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Supra SE -needs weight
    MC x24 -needs weight
    Centurion RI257
    Tige Z5 -needs weight
    Malibu lsv25 -unknown, maybe needs gas LOL
    pavati al24 or al 26 just because -needs huge weight
    Nautique g25 -needs weight

There’s your fair playing field. Like I said I’m not sure about the 25 LSV—but the bone stock one that I rode behind in Feb was good but not amazing.
    There, it’s ready. Tell LeadWake to ship in a few thousand pounds for the event if we want all things equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    There, it’s ready. Tell LeadWake to ship in a few thousand pounds for the event if we want all things equal.

yes but probably not 7k

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default Polar Bear 2018 Video

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    yes but probably not 7k
    To have enough I sure would. The Pavati will swallow 2K right off the bat. Poor little AL24 only weighs 4900#.

Anyway, we are in full agreement anyway so it’s all good? LOL

Last edited by dakota4ce; 03-12-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Ok! Why don’t you create that system. You would be revolutionary! The hull and surf system that sinks itself.

You aren’t wanting to hear the physics. Yes it really would like to have 2000 pounds more. Do it with people. Do it with water. Do it with lead. It’s your choice.

What about a boat that is exactly the same length weighing 1200 pounds less to you doesn’t make sense? It has absolutely nothing to do with the shape of the boat or the type of tabs.

If you want your Makai to behave like an FI25, then fill it with water bags like the Fi is filled. Every compartment: WATER. No storage. Then you have what you’re asking for.

Not sure how else to communicate it.

At a very simplified representation there are planning hulls and displacement hulls. Then you start taking sections through an actual hull port to starboard, bow to stern, keel to water line and looking at how that shape transitions and how the waterline changes with speed. Now you start getting into that CFD. You want to engage different shapes at different speeds to produce different results at different speeds. Initial lift at slow speeds, less lift at desired speed etc. Why shape a hull that fights your desired end result? Most wakeboats were already headed the right direction anyway but some have optimized for surfing better than other thus requiring less offset weight.

I guess all those fluids and aerodynamics classes I took are holding me back in the physics department.

You are looking at displacement in only a static situation. When the boat is sitting still overall weight of the boat + ballast will displace = weight in water. When you start moving all that changes.

I’m not arguing that a Makai needs more weight than a FI to achieve the same results. I think in fact that’s the point. One manufacture is set with killer wave from factory no need to 2-3k in lead and ones not.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

I'm not sure I understand "equal". Are you saying boat weight + ballast weight for each boat should be the same? That's not "equal". You add weight to the SE to get total weight the same as the RI257 you aren't equal because now you could add 2K to the RI and make it better.....
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    At a very simplified representation there are planning hulls and displacement hulls. Then you start taking sections through an actual hull port to starboard, bow to stern, keel to water line and looking at how that shape transitions and how the waterline changes with speed. Now you start getting into that CFD. You want to engage different shapes at different speeds to produce different results at different speeds. Initial lift at slow speeds, less lift at desired speed etc. Why shape a hull that fights your desired end result? Most wakeboats were already headed the right direction anyway but some have optimized for surfing better than other thus requiring less offset weight.

I guess all those fluids and aerodynamics classes I took are holding me back in the physics department.

You are looking at displacement in only a static situation. When the boat is sitting still overall weight of the boat + ballast will displace = weight in water. When you start moving all that changes.

I’m not arguing that a Makai needs more weight than a FI to achieve the same results. I think in fact that’s the point. One manufacture is set with killer wave from factory no need to 2-3k in lead and ones not.
    Except how do you explain that if you give the Makai the same amount of weight as the FI it makes a very similar size and awesome wave? It really doesn’t need “more” than the Fi.

If you close that 1200 pound gap between the Polar Bear Fi and Makai, the waves are very similar. I have run mine at that weight. It’s ridiculous.

But....That shouldn’t happen with their hull designs being so different—right? Or maybe their differences simply don’t matter a lot in this situation and at these speeds. And overall displacement really isn’t the most important factor. It’s really about the depth of the hull in the water at weight and speed. And it’s ability to stay down. Nobody is really planing at surf speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    I'm not sure I understand "equal". Are you saying boat weight + ballast weight for each boat should be the same? That's not "equal". You add weight to the SE to get total weight the same as the RI257 you aren't equal because now you could add 2K to the RI and make it better.....
    Equal overall weight in order to sink the boat to similar depths.

The Ri comes with a LOT MORE stock water ballast than SE.

Yes you could add more to the Ri if you want. If you can get the motor to actually push it. You’re going to run into the limit of a single propeller to be able to push it.

Except how do you explain that if you give the Makai the same amount of weight as the FI it makes a very similar size and awesome wave? It really doesn’t need “more” than the Fi.

If you close that 1200 pound gap between the Polar Bear Fi and Makai, the waves are very similar. I have run mine at that weight. It’s ridiculous.

But....That shouldn’t happen with their hull designs being so different—right? Or maybe their differences simply don’t matter a lot in this situation and at these speeds. And overall displacement really isn’t the most important factor. It’s really about the depth of the hull in the water at weight and speed. And it’s ability to stay down. Nobody is really planing at surf speeds.

I guess your solution would be that all other brands should offer huge factory water ballast like Centurion. They don’t unfortunately. They for some reason choose to offer storage.

I guess your solution would be that all other brands should offer huge factory water ballast like Centurion. They don’t unfortunately. They for some reason choose to offer storage.

They want to keep them off the bottom of the lake ...

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold