Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB surfboard

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    He's on the Moomba/Supra FB page all the time. He definitely likes funky colors. Dan Cooley at DannO Shapes. .
    I have seen them for sure. They all seem to be light blue. Is the foam core blue? Just haven’t seen that before. Are the cores something unique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there is a reason they are blue, he has access to this specific foam core, so they are very light but strong. I have been impressed with them for sure... Just throwing it out there because I keep seeing these new board prices. Its gone a little crazy imo.

Access......, as in it is extruded polystyrene from big box stores designed for wall insulation, that anyone can get. It is junk, that delaminates like crazy. Those of us that have been building composite boards for decades, played with lots of extruded polystyrene (XPS) over the years. You can get fairly decent white XPS that works Ok for surfboards, but it expensive, sort of heavy, and has out gassing issues. All extrude polystyrene outgases, warps and delaminates when it gets too hot. The blue, pink, and yellow stuff (dow, owens) is light, but not strong, and has terrible memory reflex. Instead of returning to it's original shape, once bent, it remains in the bent form to a large extent instead of springing back to shape. Notice, that basically no one in the thousands of manufacturers of high performance surfboards uses this stuff as blank material. It can be useful for foam stringers or other aspects, that are not necessarily crucial but it is not a good structural core material. When you buy cheap boards you get cheap materials.

Nick

We've had 6 custom boards... they were $400 or less at the time... and we are on season 4 of riding the piss out of them. By the way, these sit in the rack at Lake Powell... so I would say scorching hot? To each their own I guess... I have no dog in the fight, but cheap boards are my jam now according to Nick I am ok with that.
    Last edited by jph3; 03-11-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Why are they blue?

because it came from lowes.....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Ah! I figured the foam had to be the blue part. I did not know it was insulation. I just wondered why the blue. Have only seen white from the blank companies.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I’ve seen the order form... it comes from California and he has limited supply. But whatever... Think I’m going to start posting less

If my boards were insulation from Lowe’s, and had warped in the sun in lake Powell 4 years ago... I wouldn’t be sharing the info. Anyway, don’t call him. I would buy the new Carbon board for $1200... the one we had that warped in the sun the first day, and they replaced it twice in 2 months... no refund.
    Last edited by jph3; 03-11-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jph3 View Post
    I’ve seen the order form... it comes from California and he has limited supply. But whatever... Think I’m going to start posting less

If my boards were insulation from Lowe’s, and had warped in the sun in lake Powell 4 years ago... I wouldn’t be sharing the info. Anyway, don’t call him. I would buy the new Carbon board for $1200... the one we had that warped in the sun the first day, and they replaced it twice in 2 months... no refund.
    Nobody buys carbon fiber surf style boards much, do they? There are some skims built that way. Surf is Epoxy resin most of the time, isn’t it?

Ask Danno what his foam is. I simply wondered why it’s blue. I am sure he would tell you. Would be good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jph3 View Post

What not going to call out Nick from chaos , he said the same thing in a paragraph. That i did in a sentence Lolol

Maybe it a California lowes .....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

The only ones that have had any success with xps are these guys http://epoxysurfboards.com/ and it's taken them decades of R&D on the foam itself, the epoxy and the glassing techniques. Perhaps Javier is selling his foam and sharing what he's learned but I doubt it.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo