Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tow capacity for 22 inch rims

I'm looking at putting 22inch fuel assault rims and 35 inch Nitto grappler tires on my 2017 ford f-150 3.5L V6. Does anyone know how this will affect my towing capacity?
    2016 Moomba Mojo

You won't have to worry about that if you're just towing.
    2019 Supra SL450

What rear end gear ratio are you running?

Stock tire is 31.5”

31.5/35=0.90

Take your gear ratio and multiple it by 0.90, that is your new ratio with a 35” tire.

It won’t hurt too much, however, if you are running the factory hitch, your mojo is over the hitches limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 03-02-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    What rear end gear ratio are you running?

Stock tire is 31.5”

31.5/35=0.90

Take your gear ratio and multiple it by 0.90, that is your new ratio with a 35” tire.

It won’t hurt too much, however, if you are running the factory hitch, your mojo is over the hitches limit.

Larry,
    I have no idea what you're talking about bud. Can you explain what you mean by that with the hitch? Do I need to upgrade that too because of the rims and tires? Or is it just not a suitable hitch regardless? I've been towing my Mojo for two summers with no issue. thanks in advance
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by loc82 View Post
    Larry,
    I have no idea what you're talking about bud. Can you explain what you mean by that with the hitch? Do I need to upgrade that too because of the rims and tires? Or is it just not a suitable hitch regardless? I've been towing my Mojo for two summers with no issue. thanks in advance
    The factory receiver on F150s is class III so it is only rated for a max 500lb tongue weight, 5,000 lb trailer weight in a weight carrying set up (boat trailer). Some of the guys on here have been looking into swapping the stock receiver out for a after market class IV receiver that is rated for 1,000 lb tongue weight and 10,000 lb trailer weight.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Ioc82

I have the same wheel and tire on my 2015 f150. As others have said, you won’t come close to the limit of your wheel and tires as towing a boat only should put around 10-15% of your boats weight on your truck. So that’s probably around 500-700lbs or so of weight on your truck. Way below the weight rating of your tucks wheels and tires.

Now, as far as the stock hitch you have, it’s only rated to PULL up to 6,000lbs (verify this by looking at your hitch. It’s stamped on it. Mine is 6k) when not using a weight distribution setup which you don’t have on boat trailers. This issue is completely separate from your tire and rim question. If your boat and trailer, all loaded up with gas, hard ballast bags, beer, etc, is over 6,000lbs, you should install a class 4 hitch which is rated to 10,000lbs. Your boat and trailer is probably near 6,000lbs all in but I have not checked the specs on you boat and trailer so that’s up to you to find out. Given you are likely close to the limit, you would not likely have any issues but why chance it over the few hundred bucks it takes to install the proper hitch setup. If you find yourself loading up and then tak a long trip which includes a long, downhill grade, you risk your expensive boat and truck, not to mention you and your family over a small investment. That’s the point

Now, unfortunately, Ford integrated the stock hitch to the bumper so you have to install a hitch that sneaks under the stock hitch essentially giving you two hitches. This sucks but...it’s what you have to do unless you want to cut up your stock bumper mounts a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wired1236; 03-02-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks for the heads up. I searched up the topic and understand what you guys are talking about now. That's kind of crappy on Ford's part. I don't do much towing anyway.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by wired1236 View Post
    Ioc82

I have the same wheel and tire on my 2015 f150
    do you have any pics of your truck?
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Thanks for the heads up. I searched up the topic and understand what you guys are talking about now. That's kind of crappy on Ford's part. I don't do much towing anyway.
    But when you do tow your boat, your are exceeding your 5000# factory hitch. The hitch tag on your truck says “500# tongue and 5000# trailer weight”

Last edited by larry_arizona; 03-02-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

do you have any pics of your truck?
    Here’s one. They are actually 20”. Noticed you said 22”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk