Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AutoWake Always Emptying

It seems that the major complaint about AutoWake is that it always empties. So why doesn't SC change the algorithm so if the system senses a need to change the roll, it first fills the high side and if that fails to affect the roll, it stops filling and starts to empty the low side. With the new sensor that determines when the bags are venting water, this would seem to be a very easy software fix but even without that, AutoWake could still try filling and after n seconds if there is no affect in the roll, it stops filling and start emptying the other side. Same idea with pitch. I can code it up and send it on to SC if they need a head start.

BTW I don't have a boat that has AutoWake and have not been in a boat that has AutoWake but hope to be in and own a boat with AutoWake in the next 21 days.
    Last edited by ghebert1111; 02-26-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

My “personal” experience is that if the boat has enough weight, there are no issues. On my boat with a very light passenger (2) load, the only way AW could achieve the desired angles was to drain a fair amount of ballast.

Probably not the answer people want to hear, but the reality is once we added a bit of weight in the right places, auto wakes job was much easier and more consistent. We have a pretty bitchin wave now that we figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The case I've heard is that it emptys one side to adjust then it emptys the other side to adjust and so on... Again I have no real world experience, but if this is an issue, my idea will address it.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

I’d guess the reason people think it ALWAYS drains is because most people ALWAYS start from 100% full. It can’t do anything but drain to reach its pitch/roll.
    My SA will fill first before draining if there’s a sudden change and the bag isn’t full. In the few times I’ve used it, it actually works pretty well. But now that I know my pitch roll settings for my wave, we just weight accordingly and watch the auto wake display but with the system off so it can’t make changes.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    I’d guess the reason people think it ALWAYS drains is because most people ALWAYS start from 100% full. It can’t do anything but drain to reach its pitch/roll.
    My SA will fill first before draining if there’s a sudden change and the bag isn’t full. In the few times I’ve used it, it actually works pretty well. But now that I know my pitch roll settings for my wave, we just weight accordingly and watch the auto wake display but with the system off so it can’t make changes.

^This^

If the ballast is not 100% full then autowake will add to the side that needs more weight before taking weight out of the opposite side. If everything is 100% full then it obviously cannot add if it is already full, all it can do at that point is drain.

The exception to this would be if you select you ballast level based on the amp bar. I know in my 2017 with the 2018 software (amp bar based of rear ballast % instead of actual sensor) if you set the amp at say 60% for wakeboarding it will try to maintain 60% rear weight total. If someone moves and the roll is off and it adds water the opposite side to compensate it will also drain from the side that some moved too to maintain 60%. It might end up at like 70% on one side and 50% on the other but it is still 60% total.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Can the boat fill ballast at any speed or is there a limit? I never paid close attention where the pump intake(s?) is positioned under the hull on the Max.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Can the boat fill ballast at any speed or is there a limit? I never paid close attention where the pump intake(s?) is positioned under the hull on the Max.
    I believe it to be any speed. You can set low amplitude and truck across the lake and it works the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    ^This^

If the ballast is not 100% full then autowake will add to the side that needs more weight before taking weight out of the opposite side. If everything is 100% full then it obviously cannot add if it is already full, all it can do at that point is drain.

The exception to this would be if you select you ballast level based on the amp bar. I know in my 2017 with the 2018 software (amp bar based of rear ballast % instead of actual sensor) if you set the amp at say 60% for wakeboarding it will try to maintain 60% rear weight total. If someone moves and the roll is off and it adds water the opposite side to compensate it will also drain from the side that some moved too to maintain 60%. It might end up at like 70% on one side and 50% on the other but it is still 60% total.
    That's great that it is doing the fill thing when possible. I guess the complaints about it emptying one side and then the next side until you've lost 100s of lbs per side have been greatly exaggerated.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

A lot of of it I think was people just trying to adapt to new technology, it was a learning curve. The first few times I used it it was not pretty. Got frustrated and turned it off. Goose on here had a long thread on features and how to use it.
    The one thing that made my brain click and go ‘oh you dummy...’ was when he started talking about not being full ballast, overloading the side you’re surfing so you pass up your roll setting and watch it fill the opposite side to roll you back over to the target. Works the same for pitch.
    I don’t have the amplitude stuff, so I can’t help there, I have an idea how it plays into it, but honestly don’t see why it’s needed. If the amp is at a certain level with full bags, you can’t sink it deeper without more weight. That’s the way it’s always been, set up the best wave you can and ride it. Adapt to it, I know the potential of the boat if I only have my wife and 2 small kids on it! Lol that’s what Enzo bags are for...
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

The biggest obstacle of Autowake is for the really experienced guy who weights his boat the old fashioned way manually getting the pitch and roll and doesn’t think a computer can match or better their skills.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan