Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Pre-season Fitness

A buddy and I did a challenge back in January to do 1,000 pull ups, 2,000 push ups, and 3,000 air squats in one month... in addition to your normal workouts. It was very doable if you break it up into daily work, but if you slack off just one day it piles up very quickly. March would be a good month to do this. Beware tho, air squats will kick your azz if you're not used to them! I don't do a lot of core specific stuff and this forced me to.

Who's got a solid pre-season routine underway? What are your goals?
    2016 Craz

Goals for 47 year old ass. Getting old sucks
    Drop 20#
    Get bench/squat/deadlift back over 400# each.
    Standing overhead press 275#
    Core strength and flexibility to keep my surgically fixed back healthy.

Strength: Wendler 5/3/1 method for strength 3x a week
    Cardio: shit tons of Burpees, HIIT Spinning,Kettlebell training 4x a week
    Yoga 1x a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-25-2019 at 09:16 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Walk up and down a sh*t load of stairs every day. Hooray for working on a drill ship.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Goals for 47 year old ass. Getting old sucks
    Drop 20#
    Get bench/squat/deadlift back over 400# each.
    Standing overhead press 275#
    Core strength and flexibility to keep my surgically fixed back healthy.

Strength: Wendler 5/3/1 method for strength 3x a week
    Cardio: shit tons of Burpees, HIIT Spinning,Kettlebell training 4x a week
    Yoga 1x a week

About a year ago I did Wendler 5/3/1, along with counting macros and got in the best shape of my life at 41 years old with very little cardio.

Now I’m not going to mention what my lifts were because it’s embarrassing compared to yours, but definitely recommend that program if you like lifting heavy things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

I have done a lot of strength based programs and once I got over 35, far and away wendler 5/3/1 I have made most gains with and it is designed to keep your joints healthy and prevent over training.

I will likely do it forever, you can easily modify it to use it as a maintenance program too.

There is no lift shaming here. Only encouragement and support.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I'm gonna have to look into this wendler thing. I'm one year older than you Larry and am always struggling w/the psychology of do i really need to lift heavy? is it worth the potential injury? versus showing some of them young bucks up in the gym. lol. 400# bench at ANY age is impressive. I can DL it, but my best on bench is 295 (315 is my nemesis). got 3 clean reps of 275 the other day.
    Right now I'm focused on shedding a few BF% to get back under 15% for shirtless season,
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    I'm gonna have to look into this wendler thing. I'm one year older than you Larry and am always struggling w/the psychology of do i really need to lift heavy? is it worth the potential injury? versus showing some of them young bucks up in the gym. lol. 400# bench at ANY age is impressive. I can DL it, but my best on bench is 295 (315 is my nemesis). got 3 clean reps of 275 the other day.
    Right now I'm focused on shedding a few BF% to get back under 15% for shirtless season,
    Lifting heavy at lower reps really works for building lean mass and strength, I have never seen it fail at working. Men or women.

Not a pro, never touched gear, just worked hard.

Not a fan of low weight high reps unless it’s cardio, ie kettlebell is low weight high rep work that is mostly cardio.

At the same time, you need to know your limits. Heavy squats and deads ruptured my L5S1 disc. So I try to stay much lighter in squats and deads as I just don’t want surgery again.

Train smarter not harder over 35. Wendler 5/3/1 is super friendly and is not super heavy lifting, and you don’t need a spotter. The formula simply works, with slow but steady gains, a couple cycles (cycle is a month)you can expect 25-35# max gains.

I don’t even go to the gym anymore, I lift alone at home. Can’t stand the GYM and the idiots there.

300# is a great bench especially in you are in your later 40’s. In fact, it’s outstanding. 275 for 3 reps should net you a clean 300# bench.

I found 400# is my limit before my shoulder joints started telling me to F off. Done more weight and honestly it’s just a personal challenge, I found my limits then backed down. I am just a regular joe.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-26-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/53...-pure-strength you can start with this. It's what I found on it.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

T nation is a great resource, there is also a 5/3/1 app that makes it even easier

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Diet matters most. You can't outwork bad food.

And lots of stretching, mobility work.

But as far as workouts, StrongLifts 5x5! Easy, simple workouts in my basement (have a Rogue rack and some weights) only 3x a week. It's amazing how much stronger I am in every other lift after squatting 3x a week.

Other than that, just swim or walk for on-going cardio. And a lot of moving around, aka NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) to keep the metabolism going. I'm 32 and learned in the last few years that 'more' doesn't equal 'better' for me. Lots of interesting studies of overexercising and its affect on excess cortisol, which in turn can lead to more fat retention since your body is in a perpetual stress state.

It's tough with a dead thyroid but the above is working pretty well for me the past few years, 6'1 185lbs now. Down from 215. Would love to be 170s by summer.
    --
    2019 Craz