Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Lets discuss sealant and/or wax

Now that spring is hopefully approaching and many of us are taking possession of our new boats, what are you guys using to protect your gelcoat from the elements?

Looking for recommendations for a good sealant or wax thats good for UV.

Used to use collinite but that is a wax. Started looking at things like Rejex which is more of a sealant and on some of my other boats, seems to work well.

i am NOT into ceramic coating at this point. For me the jury is still out on that.
    2019 Mondo

I will give you feed back on IGL Marine ceramic this spring.

Polishing the boat and prepping for it now with Rupes UHS and carpro essence. Need 60f+ to start applying IGL Marine.

My buddy is a pro and the IGL is bad ass. One of the lakes I go to is pretty hard water and this should leave zero water spotting and no towel drying.

I used a ceramic kit I had laying around on my trailer last year and also spot free and sheets dry within a couple minutes of pulling out of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-21-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I have always used meguires wax in the spring and then their quick detailer after each outing. has worked for me in the past.
    having a light/white colored boat makes a difference. my perception is if your boat is or has black on it there's more work involved.

boater4life used boat candy speed gloss and some kind of microfiber towels I have not seen before at the ramp and his boat always looked good. that stuff worked well and cleaning after an outing was pretty easy.

not mentioned but I have used both 303 and babes seat saver on the interior and given a choice, babes 100% of the time. smells amazing and works great. 1x ayear if you have a stubborn spot malco to remove it and follow up with uv protectant(babes).

that's been my regiment since 07 and always kept the boats looking good but know there's a lot of good products out there and to me the most important regiment is a good cleaning after every outing.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I'm a second on Performance Boat Candy. That stuff is great one good wax in spring then PBC all year and your set. Our 14 looks as good if not better than factory.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I will give you feed back on IGL Marine ceramic this spring.

Polishing the boat and prepping for it now with Rupes UHS and carpro essence. Need 60f+ to start applying IGL Marine.

My buddy is a pro and the IGL is bad ass. One of the lakes I go to is pretty hard water and this should leave zero water spotting and no towel drying.

I used a ceramic kit I had laying around on my trailer last year and also spot free and sheets dry within a couple minutes of pulling out of the lake.

Every bit of feedback I have seen is that the clear drying is a myth. There will be water spots, drying down will be needed, and it supposedly is “easier” for whatever that means. I have never really thought a post lake dry was too hard...

Excited to hear your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Every bit of feedback I have seen is that the clear drying is a myth. There will be water spots, drying down will be needed, and it supposedly is “easier” for whatever that means. I have never really thought a post lake dry was too hard...

Excited to hear your feedback.

So far the ceramic/nano coated trailer has dried spot free, hopefully the IGL marine does the same for the gel coat.

Good or bad, I will post actual results. I don’t blindly follow product claims, but willing to experiment. There are only a couple gelcoat specific nano coatings on the market and IGL is
    one of the best in automotive.

I was anti nano until I tried it on my black car. Let’s just say maintenance is 10% of what it used to be. I keep black paint perfect and a mirror finish, it was a job with a DA polish and high end wax and sealants and using a minimal touch wash system including blow drying versus using towels.

Now it’s a breeze with a nano.

Hoping the boat is the same.

If results are good, I will likely be able to do local applications. IGL does not sell to the open market.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    Now that spring is hopefully approaching and many of us are taking possession of our new boats, what are you guys using to protect your gelcoat from the elements?
    Looking for recommendations for a good sealant or wax thats good for UV.
    Used to use collinite but that is a wax. Started looking at things like Rejex which is more of a sealant and on some of my other boats, seems to work well.
    i am NOT into ceramic coating at this point. For me the jury is still out on that.
    There's so many great products on the market to keep the toys looking fantastic. I myself use and trust Boat Bling inside and out.
    Their water spot remover is called Hotsauce and works amazing. Designed for Fiberglass, Plastic, Chrome, Glass and all painted surfaces so you know it's a safe and works. It doesn't strip your wax with a polymer wax it leaves behind and keeps the shine on. Sold by the quart or gallon for any job big or small. IMO for the best results you should use a triditional shammy and not a micro fiber cloth. This is persoanl opnion but I have found the shammy is key to this cleaning product for me.
    Interior cleaner Boat Bling has Vinyl Sauce, not only a great cleaner but also a little UV protectant. Directions are a spray on wipe off application but I have found a mild scrubber used with the sauce really help deep clean the interior. I use this product after every outing and my interior has never looked so good all the time. Now twice a month i use the Condition Sauce which will give me 100% UV protection. Keeping your seats moist and protected means zero cracking down the road.

https://marine-products.com/search?t...q=boat*+bling*
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Coated boat with IGL marine. By far nicer finish than any high end wax that I have used.

I understand why this is a pro only product, but I got the hang of it.

I am very happy and will report back on water spotting and maintenance

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Coated boat with IGL marine. By far nicer finish than any high end wax that I have used.

I understand why this is a pro only product, but I got the hang of it.

I am very happy and will report back on water spotting and maintenance

I looked up the product you used and it rang up 10k for a 1L bottle. That correct? The finish looks excellent btw!

It’s $9999.00 because it’s not available to general public, you need to be IGL certified.

I have a 200ml size and it was plenty for a 23 foot boat, inside and out.

200 ml was $425

Last edited by larry_arizona; 05-22-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan