Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    I forgot to mention, it does require the software update also. But you can put the 2019 software on the 2017 models if they have the 480 color screen....
    Goose, aside from the backwards compatibility of the ballast sensors, are there any bug fixes or software enhancements in the 2019 software that would be of value to 2017 models?

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

A couple items....

Unfortunately the ballast sensors are NOT backward compatible on the 2017 or 2018 Supra. It is rather complicated, but on the Supra, we have changed the hardware quite a bit the last few years and since the hardware is so complex, it is not very easy to make things backward compatible as you change hardware.

On the Moomba, that is why the software is backward compatible only on the units with the 480 display. We are trying our best to keep hardware together so that future software is backward compatible, but that will not always be the case. As to the questions about bug fixes and software enhancements, here is a general understanding of the 480 software and model years....

2017 is when we started AutoWake for Moomba. 2018 we added Predictive State technology, Draft sensor hardware and technology and we added 6 pump ballast control (separate from Autowake but speeds up the system). 2019 we added the ballast sensor hardware and technology. Obviously there have been a few bug fixes along the way, but the biggest changes have been the additional hardware.

You can put 2019 software on the 2017, but if you don't add the hardware (draft sensor or ballast sensors) then really the software is not much different other than adding predictive state software (which does speed up the system). The only major bug fix we had was the surf plate would sometimes lose position during key cycle so if you don't have that software improvement then loading the latest 2018 or 2019 software would be better as well.

For 2019, the Mondo, Craz, Mojo and Makai got the new 700 screen. Obviously that hardware is different and the 700 software and the 480 software are not the same.

Ok, hope that helps answer some of the questions. If you want the latest 2019 480 software, you can ask your dealer and they should be able to get it for you. It is really easy to update.
    Matt Brown
    Product Development Manager

The only thing bad about buying my Max this year is I have a gut suspicion the 2020 Max and Helix get the 700 screen like most of the models got this year . Oh well I want to surf now and I don't boat staring at a screen.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

If you waited for what’s new year after year........you would never buy a boat.

Jump in, you won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    If you waited for what’s new year after year........you would never buy a boat.

Jump in, you won’t regret it.

Yea I know .... and I totally agree! Can't wait to get the this season going with the new boat! The wait is going to suck but hopefully get here in the spring to knock out the break-in and first service so she'll be ready for a long, awesome season! I do think they'll get the 7" screens next year. I'm still not fully warmed up to the idea of only touchscreen input especially for marine use since my aging iPad always loves to jerk me around .... but I sure do like the new displays and GUI. They look sweet!
    Last edited by haknslash; 02-15-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I feel like you guys are trying to bait me into a game I don't want to play, but I will give one secret away and that's the only one....

I would not expect to see the 700 screen in the 2020 Max. Maybe someday, but the 480 will be in production for at least 2020...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Matt Brown

I feel like you guys are trying to bait me into a game I don't want to play, but I will give one secret away and that's the only one....

I would not expect to see the 700 screen in the 2020 Max. Maybe someday, but the 480 will be in production for at least 2020...

thanks for clarifying Goose
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Hey guys!! Sorry but I have been swamped lately working on the new stuff. To answer a few questions, the parts and technology are partially backwards compatible. When I say "partially", I mean you would have to have a boat that is at least 2017 and has the color 480 screen and AutoWake. So a 2017 Craz with 480 screen and Autowake can be upgraded to add the new "ballast sensors". As Josh said, the boats with the 480 screen (2019 Helix and Max) use flow sensors. We did this on purpose so that you could add the flow sensors to older boats. We have a parts kit that includes a full harness and 3 flow sensors. These sensors clip in the vent line already in the boat and then sees the water that tries to vent out the hose already in the boat. It actually is a pretty easy install and really improves the accuracy of the ballast. And as Josh says, keeps the boat from only bilging out water you don't want in the boat and NOT putting extra pressure on the bags in the boat. As some of you have found, if you overfill the bags too much and too long, sometimes the fittings go bad. Also, since this clips on the vent side, you can use any size bag for this install.

On the 2019 models, we work closely with wakemakers and they have added the correct vent locations and even made an adapter to use our new vented fittings on the top of their custom bags. It is really cool and allows you to use the new technology on custom bags. You just have to make sure you are ordering bags for the correct year.

Hope that helps! I will try and check on this forum later but might be a few days. Trying to get the new stuff rolling as well....
    Goose thanks for all of your knowledge on this!! I know you touched on the ease of swapping bags on the max and helix with the flow sensors and I am wondering if it is just as easy for the rear bags of the other boats with the pressure sensors? Specifically I am planning to upgrade the rears bags in my Makai to wakemaker’s 1300s and I am wondering if it is just as easy as swapping them out and switching the caps/fittings? Or will there be more evolved with the pressure sensor?
    TIA

2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

First, let me clarify on the sensors...

The sensors are not measuring flow or pressure. They are measuring actual water, I just refer to them as flow or pressure based on how they are different. Both sensors are very similar (and patent protected) and use a technology that sees water between two different contact points.

And both the sensors are NOT mounted to the bag. The 2019 bags have 1 additional fitting that connects to a hose and the sensors are on that hose. We did this so that you can easily install any bag you want.

The flow type sensor only measures water at one place which is closest to the thru hull. Once the bag is full, the vent hoses will fill up and take water to the thru hull. When the sensor sees water as it "flows" into this sensor, then it knows the bag must be full and tells pumps to shut off and reset gauge to full. Again, we used this sensor on the 480 based systems as we wanted to make it easily backwards compatible for prior years. If you have ever popped a bag fitting in the past, this can prevent that.

Matt Brown

The pressure type sensor measures water the same way, but instead of at only 1 point, it measures the water as it fills up a separate tube. So it not only knows when the water is at the top, but anywhere along the tube. I sometimes call this pressure type because it fills the tube from the bottom of the bag. As the bag approaches full, there are no vent hoses on the top of the bag now so the water pressure forces water up the tube. Again, when the system sees water at the top of the tube, then it shuts off pumps and resets gauge. For 2019, we only care about full, but I am sure you can guess that technology will not stop there. With this hardware, it really opens up future software development and I am sure you will see more of that in the future.

Hope that answers the questions and clarifies how they work. Again, we have some really cool stuff and some even cooler stuff coming in the future. While the other guys are bragging and patting their own backs about 5 to 10 year old technology, we are pushing the envelope on new stuff that we think adds value to the end consumer! Stay tuned...

Matt Brown