Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I sure hope they don’t put an eco motor in a wake boat... I just don’t see how they’ll control the heat from the exhaust housings and down pipes. The regular 3.5 can make them glow red in a truck, not including the overboosted Raptor. Plus the boost spikes every time the boat hits a wave... I just don’t see how they can account for that when the boat is loaded down in the tune.
    I was talking about it with e of the Rinkers guys this evening, I see lots of warranty claims and burned up boats in the future.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

That’s why marine engines utilize water cooled exhaust manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

I would sure this would be pretty well thought out before it was ever put into the field? I doubt we just toss one into a boat and light it on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glowing red hot metal and water don’t mix. And the exhaust manifold isn’t the problem, it’s the exhaust turbine housing and down pipe. To make these EcoBoost motors spool so quick, they use a tiny housing. Unfortunately that leads to a high drive pressure which makes extreme heat.
    I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’d just need to see it work for a few years before I bought into it. You’d have so many water lines running thru the boat to keep everything cool, I feel like packaging would be an issue.
    I’m all for ways to save gas as much surfing as we do, and I have no doubt this is where the industry is headed. I just wish boat makers would stop following automotive trends. Build a boat that works and people will buy it.
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    I would sure this would be pretty well thought out before it was ever put into the field? I doubt we just toss one into a boat and light it on fire.

Just remember, FoMoCo ‘tested’ the 6.0 and 6.4 power stroke for years (and decided they were good?!?), as replacements to the 7.3. They were the worst, most unreliable motors in history. Lol
    The EcoBoost doesn’t have a great track record yet either. High strung turbo motors don’t last, never have, never will. I hope indmar puts some time into it... otherwise I see nothing but warranty claims in their future.
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

broke, depends on the application. 4g63 in mitsu's can take up to 34psi from factory(ask me I know ) with nothing more than replacing the head studs with arp's and are known for well north of 100k miles if you change the oil regularly.

I am 100% in your camp tho that I don't see them as a long term solution and think it'll be a fuel economy play that will be a fad. I think i'd have to see 5+ years in a boat application with success before I'd pull the trigger.

what I don't get is the claim for greatly reduced install times. maybe on the repair side with more room to work around but most manuf. are installing them early in the process where the cavern is wide open. might save say 5min a boat in a few less nuts and bolts but bet most manuf. would find more efficiencies tightening up long break times from workers than savings like this..
    Last edited by sandm; 02-16-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Most 6.0s ran without a hitch. It was not nearly as bad as the world makes it out to be. Lotta hype. But they did come up with some bad problems for the unlucky ones.

My friend runs a diesel performance shop—says same. Lotsa “bulletproofing” happens even though the motor was fine. My dad heavy hauled a few 6.0s with zero issues. But what shall be shall be. I have personally loved the 3.5. It’s a marvel. But there are issues with the first gen motor, on fairly infrequent occasion. Now they mixed the fuel injection which takes the buildup issue away. They’re strong little motors.

I am just saying—boats on fire? I would think turbo cooling would be engineering issue number one. You’re driving around on a huge cooling reservoir for Pete’s sake!

But everyone will poopoo the idea.

Small diesels would be neato but there is zero diesel fuel on the inland water.

Anyway, I think the future will be pretty damn cool to watch!

Most ecoboost issues are timing chain tensioners making noise (corrected around the 2015 model year) and condensation building up in the intercooler (corrected about the same time). The motors themselves are pretty stout and really the only ones I have heard of blowing up are ones that were tuned to the extreme and being drag raced. There are plenty of 3.5 EBs north of 100,000 miles on them that have been regular haulers. Ours has about 80,000 on it and the only issue we have had is a leaking water pump.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

My brothers shops numbers for 2018 came out a week or so ago. Since the eco was released, the f150 has made him the most money every year lol. And before that is was the 4.6 v8 f150. I’ll see if I can get a copy.
    Like I said, not against it, I’d just need to see it work for a long time before I jumped in.
    I’m with Dakota, the future will be interesting to watch, from my 6.2 Raptor!
    Or a LS powered centurion if the raptor ever starts acting up. Lmao
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    My brothers shops numbers for 2018 came out a week or so ago. Since the eco was released, the f150 has made him the most money every year lol. And before that is was the 4.6 v8 f150. I’ll see if I can get a copy.
    Like I said, not against it, I’d just need to see it work for a long time before I jumped in.
    I’m with Dakota, the future will be interesting to watch, from my 6.2 Raptor!
    Or a LS powered centurion if the raptor ever starts acting up. Lmao
    I would also imagine he has an absolute butt load of those motors out there and they are working hard in a lot of cases?