Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nicely done sir, thanks for sharing.
    -Blaine

2019 Makai
    2013 LSV (sold)
    1997 Bayliner 1850 (sold)

I'm looking to build a box for my 10" kicker. My initial plan was to follow these blueprints but once I got the sub and plastic board it is mounted to off I got to wondering what if I built a 5 sided box and used the existing plastic board as the 6th side? So basically just make a square shaped box that meets the air space requirements and screw the plastic to it. Everything would be glued screws and sealed with appropriate wood and material. Is this a bad idea? What am I missing?

As far as porting the box could I just drill a 1" hole in the side and that be sufficient? Obviously this is something I have never done and I'm sure I am over simplifying it. Fire away! Thanks!
    Last edited by Surgical_ass; 11-28-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    '18 mojo

I was initially going to re-use the plastic board also. However, since the board has to move out a few inches, the contour of the boat changes and you would end up with a gap at the right side. You also need to notch the corner of it to make it fit around the little storage container on the floor. It could be done, I just opted to make a new one. As for the port, there are other ways to do it. I am no expert, but I understood that to maximize the output of the sub the port needs to have the dimensions I followed based on the Volume of the box. I can tell you mine sounds awesome and I am glad I spent the extra time to port it that way. I used 1/2” marine grade plywood, which was a little hard to work with without splitting out the sides. Make sure you drill and counter sink the holes. 3/4” would be better, but I was trying to save all the inches I could and not bump out the box any further than necessary. Good luck! It is well worth it! Can’t believe they don’t come from the factory this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Surgical_ass View Post
    I'm looking to build a box for my 10" kicker. My initial plan was to follow these blueprints but once I got the sub and plastic board it is mounted to off I got to wondering what if I built a 5 sided box and used the existing plastic board as the 6th side? So basically just make a square shaped box that meets the air space requirements and screw the plastic to it. Everything would be glued screws and sealed with appropriate wood and material. Is this a bad idea? What am I missing?

As far as porting the box could I just drill a 1" hole in the side and that be sufficient? Obviously this is something I have never done and I'm sure I am over simplifying it. Fire away! Thanks!
    A ported enclosure is a tuned instrument. The port open and port length is a calculation using the woofer's specs and the internal volume of the enclosure. So just making a hole of any kind, is a bad thing.

I would do a complete 6 sided enclosure, then affix the entire enclosure to the existing facade. You will have a much more rigid setup, as well as much easier to seal the seam between the facade and front wall of the enclosure.

Well against good advice I made a 5 sided box with the original front. I had to shift the box over and turn it a little side ways due to the steering cable. A little trial and error but it worked. Got a good seal around the plastic mounting board and box. Used pan head screws with washers and a bead of silicone. I ported the box per the instructions on the kicker site. It made a huge difference!

Now here are my questions
    I monkeyd a little with the amp setting not immediately realizing that the settings were probably correct from the factory. I have the kxma800.5. I was able to set the gain confidently on amp 1 and 2 using the downloadable tones. I was unable to get the sub gain to light up with the -10db tone reccomended for subs. It would light up with the 0db tone tho. Amy thoughts why it wouldn't light up with the -10?

Here's where I really pulled a DA move. I screwed with all the crossover settings. Ive looked up where people say where they sould be set but it seems that everyone suggestions are a little different. without proper equipment I'm just eyeballing it.

Sub setting- the sub sonic is set to 30 and the low pass is set to 80 (ish) the eq is around 17
    Amp 1&2 I cant remember off hand where they are but I have a feeling they are incorrect. The switches are both on HP and 1X. What should they be set on? Would an audio shop be able to take my amp and set it appropriately with their devices?

I have the stock kicker speakers (6) but will most likely upgrade to the revo 6. Would an upgrade require me to readjust the amp gain crossovers?
    Last edited by Surgical_ass; 12-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    '18 mojo

What should they be set on? Would an audio shop be able to take my amp and set it appropriately with their devices?
    Yes, but they will need the enclosure specs, as in what its tuned to, in order to tune the amp's woofer chnl to its most optima.

Would an upgrade require me to readjust the amp gain crossovers?
    No. Both the OEM speakers and Revo's will handle the amp's 50W rms wattage. If the cross over is ideal for one, it will be perfect for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Yes, but they will need the enclosure specs, as in what its tuned to, in order to tune the amp's woofer chnl to its most optima.
    Can you give me an idea of roughly what the crossovers should be set at. Not looking for perfection at this point. Now I'm afraid that I have them set completely wrong and risk damage to the speakers. My main concern is the 6 cabin speakers. I feel that I have the sub mostly dialed in. I have the OEM 6 kicker cabins and kicker kxma800.5 amp. (Amp 1 &2 settings) Anything to get me pointed in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    '18 mojo

Excited I found this old thread. Thank you for posting it. I have the same system as you. Did you have to change any settings on your amps? If so, can you take a pick of the amp settings so I can duplicate. Thanks again.......
    2017 CRAZ
    2015 203 VRX Chaparral

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Excited I found this old thread. Thank you for posting it. I have the same system as you. Did you have to change any settings on your amps? If so, can you take a pick of the amp settings so I can duplicate. Thanks again.......
    I turned down the gain a little bit. However, I am no expert when it comes to adjusting the amp settings. I just picked a song I knew that had tons of base, and adjusted down from that. What I found to be the most helpful is the wireless amp remote that came with the system. Some songs have so much base, I need to turn it down on the fly. Trust me, this build is well worth it! I can’t believe the difference it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!
    2017 CRAZ
    2015 203 VRX Chaparral