Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Surf Tab Cracking Hull

I have a 2016 Craz that I purchased new in 2017 as a hold over. During my winterization this year I realized my starboard surf tab on the outermost drilled hole into the boat had a crack propagating in 3 directions right out of the center of the hole. The crack goes upwards over 12", outboard about 5-6" and then under the boat about a foot. Because it is coming directly out of the drilled hole I figured the factory may have over-torqued that nut. The crack is bad enough I can fit my fingernail underneath it. I sent pictures to my local dealer who tried to fix under warranty, however it was denied by skiers as my gelcoat warranty is only a year. I feel this is a structural/workmanship defect. Is there anyone at skiers I can speak with? Anyone else have cracks propagating off the tabs? Dealer seemed surprised it was not approved.

5 (2).jpg

4 (2).jpg
    2016 Craz

Did you get any quotes? Usually SC wants the customer to work thru their dealer on claims. Are you Atlanta Marine?
    Drew Tinker is on here on and Facebook. Might start with him or shoot him an email with your situation and pics

It had this happen on my 2007 around the swim platform brackets. It was years after the warranty, so it was out of pocket for me and I was the second owner.
    Depending on the colors that were affected, it was $250 per gel color (color had to be matched) + plus labor.

If you were looking at the transom of the boat, if I did not tell you, you would not know it was repaired. So don't get too upset.
    2018 Supra SL400

Hole was not chamfered properly and possibly overtightened. That’s a factory defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Did you get any quotes? Usually SC wants the customer to work thru their dealer on claims. Are you Atlanta Marine?
    Drew Tinker is on here on and Facebook. Might start with him or shoot him an email with your situation and pics

It had this happen on my 2007 around the swim platform brackets. It was years after the warranty, so it was out of pocket for me and I was the second owner.
    Depending on the colors that were affected, it was $250 per gel color (color had to be matched) + plus labor.

If you were looking at the transom of the boat, if I did not tell you, you would not know it was repaired. So don't get too upset.
    I have been working with Atlanta Marine, I love them. They quoted 1500-2k to fix. They seemed genuinely surprised it wasn't covered under warranty. I'm just a little irritated it appears to be a defect in the craftsmanship for a boat I have 100 hours on and now have to spend 2k to fix. I came over to moomba from masterctraft and was hesitant about the build quality and craftsmanship. While I did develop a few spider cracks on my MC, they didn't begin to develop until the boat was 10 or 12 years old years and and generally in areas where I tapped a dock or something similar.
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Hole was not chamfered properly and possibly overtightened. That’s a factory defect.

That's how I feel as well, just don't know the proper avenue to communicate that back to skiers. I am trying to just have a conversation with someone at skiers about it, not looking to blast them all over the internet. I plan on keeping this boat a while and want a good relationship with my dealer and them.
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by mcjimmy33 View Post
    That's how I feel as well, just don't know the proper avenue to communicate that back to skiers. I am trying to just have a conversation with someone at skiers about it, not looking to blast them all over the internet. I plan on keeping this boat a while and want a good relationship with my dealer and them.
    Contact Drew Tinker DIRECTLY and talk to him about it.

2017 Moomba Craz

mcjimmy33, shoot me an email at [email protected] when you get a chance.

There you go.

2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post

That’s absolutely what happened. It’s just crack. Shouldn’t be much to fix. Won’t cause any issues with the hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Just dropped off my boat this weekend at the dealer. Skiers steeped up to cover a portion of the repair, asking me to cover a portion as well.
    2016 Craz