Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Off season training/During season activity

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've perused the thread as I've been suffering from the "boat's winterized and sitting on the lift" blues. However, it's boat show week and I'll get a little spike of anticipation for the season. In light of that, I had a few questions about those of you that are more seasoned veterans (I'm 34).
    What's your off season/in season training methods? What things that have worked for you in the past to keep you as healthy as possible? First off, I don't want to turn this into a WW debate of which method is better, just curious what everyone out there is doing.

In the off season, are you lifting weights? Primarily doing cardio/calisthenics? What muscle groups are you most focused on or what kind of exercise regimen are you usually adhering to?

During the season, how do you prepare your body for a set in warm-up(stretching, jumping jacks, etc.)? What are your recovery days/work-outs like between riding days?

As I am now longer in the tooth, I know that now I can't be as lackadaisical about wakeboarding season and the toll it takes on my body as I was before and would like to stay away from the physicians' office as best I can.

Thanks in advance.
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

my kinda workout...

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

First off 34 isn't exactly long in the tooth...especially compared to 48.

Our summer boat season diet is not nearly as clean as my off boat season diet. So in the off-season I am much more strict as to what I eat and drink. My workouts don't really change much during the summer unless we are on vacation and even then I workout every day. In the winter/off-season I count my macros (protein, carbs and fats), watch what I eat very closely (no processed foods), but do have the occasional cheat meal about 1-2 times a month.

I hit the gym Monday - Friday and do high intensity weight lifting with no rests between sets other than to change weights or body part. I vary what exercises I do and what order/combination I do the specific body parts I am training that day/week...never the same order two weeks in a row. Monday doesn't have to be international chest day...thats bulls--t. The other thing is you cannot skip leg day, nobody really likes to workout legs but it needs to be done especially if you are going to wakeboard/surf. I usually warm-up with pullups or pushups and then end my workouts with ab work...it is obviously important to keep your core strong.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

I bought my wife a peloton for Xmas... turns out I like it too. lol
    I ride mountain bikes pretty much year round, of course our trails haven’t been dry in 4+ months now. Hence the peloton! Lol
    Hoping to increase the legs stamina a bit for this season, I’ll be 34 this summer.
    Other than that, I’m not a huge exercise person. So I’m not a great guy to talk to about it.
    I subscribe to the tortoise theory... your heart only has so many beats in it. Why waste them?!? Wanna live longer? Take a nap! Lmao
    My sister who is a doctor hates me...
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    of course our trails haven’t been dry in 4+ months now.
    This weather pattern we have been in has been awful for the trails. The lakes are all full so we should be thankful for that no doubt. The weekends are decent but everything is too wet to ride from the rain in the middle of the week. Hence the reason I am going fishing tomorrow! Last time I was able to get a ride in on the trails down here was Dec. 23rd. Been hitting the pavement in the mornings to still get some exercise in....I might have to look into this tortoise theory LOL
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

If you’re a mountain bike guy I’m always looking for people to ride with.. I’ll shoot ya a PM with my number if you’re interested.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    If you’re a mountain bike guy I’m always looking for people to ride with.. I’ll shoot ya a PM with my number if you’re interested.
    Ya definitely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    Ya definitely!

I onewheel, rock climb and snowboard to keep in shape, more fun than just hitting the gym. I'm old, 45..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    my kinda workout...

Still trying to find the hidden camera you used to get that pic of me in my home gym.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I onewheel, rock climb and snowboard to keep in shape, more fun than just hitting the gym. I'm old, 45..
    Does powered skateboarding have a ton of workout value?