Default First wakesurf boat

Hi everyone. Me and my wife are looking to buy our first wakesurfing boat. We live on a relatively small lake (~235 acres). I have a fair amount of surfing experience, my wife has next to none. We no longer live near anywhere that I can go out surfing, so wakesurfing was my next logical step. I want to essentially get the best wake for my dollar. I would love a boat I can grow with, something we can do a nice beginner wave size for my wife and larger for me. I don't really care about fancy interior or having a bumping audio system.
    Since we're on a smaller lake I feel like a 22' or larger boat might be a bit overkill, but if it's a necessity for a good wave I would bite the bullet. I've been looking at the helix (adding on all the wake modifying options) and it's right around the price range I was thinking. Would a helix be a good boat for what we're looking for? Or are there any other make/models I should be looking at? We're going to be heading to a boat show this weekend to get some more information.
    Thanks!

Welcome to the forum....
    How deep is your lake? and do you plan on going to ANY other lakes?

A helix is a very capable boat w/proper (additional) weighting. but any boat will be challenged if your lake is shallow (under 15' or so)
    Last edited by Pound; 01-23-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    2016 Craz

pound is spot on. I have found 12-13ft to be the limit to a decent wave. beyond that it just goes flat.

having had a 20, 22 and 23ft, 22ft was what I would call the sweet spot to be lake and garage friendly. also watch beam. as close to 102" as you can get. going from a 20ft 95" to a 22ft 102" was night and day different. storage depth to keep bags off the floor/seats as well.

good luck however if you end up in a 20ft I bet the first time you ride/surf a 22ft boat that is dialed you will get the bug to trade.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks for the welcome.
    We will for the most part be on our lake, which i would say is average 20-25' deep. Right off our dock is a bit shallower, probably about 5ish feet. Will probably take it to the family cabin once in a great while but that lake is very large (~3000 acres and over 80 ft deep).
    Sandm - That's my fear with the boat shopping, I don't want to have the desire to upgrade in 2-5 years. So you'd recommend going with the Max (102" beam) or craz (100" beam) over the helix?

Are there other surf boats on your lake? If you are going to be the first one, you might find the neighbors don't like it as much as you do.

Only reason I ask is bc the small lake is driving your size considerations.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

There is a supra I see driving around. No idea what size. Most people in the neighborhood only complain about the jetskis and the drunk tubers.

Just wait until you put constant 4 foot rollers onto their shore/docks. They will love you!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Just wait until you put constant 4 foot rollers onto their shore/docks. They will love you!!! Lol
    thinking the same thing...

ask around and sit in a few of the boats. wakeboarding, most comments I heard were that guys liked the mondo my buddy in WI had over my 22ft "other brand" boat but surfing the longer hull will put out a longer wake in most cases and I felt like my wave was longer and more push than his. I'd look at either of the above before the helix. again all imo and you will have as many opinions as posts in this thread.

one thing to note a smaller lake will be more difficult to surf in as the wake will roll back and forth across it. not sure the overall size of 200+ acres but did surf with a guy a few years ago outside msp and the size of the lake made it difficult to not keep running into your own wake. had to make sure you kept the rider toward the shore at all times. that and avoiding the 2 loons that seemed to show up at all the wrong times......
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten