Default Trouble Putting Fuel in my 04 Outback??

I have an 04 Outback and find that at MOST gas pumps, the gas splashes back up the filler neck and splashes out stopping the pump after only about 0.1 gal pumped. The previous owner mentioned this, but said his original dealer claimed this was normal. I have looked under the ski locker and it looks to me like the hose is too long and has a tight bend in it just under the filler neck. Has anyone had any trouble like this and know of a solution? It seems as thought I could remove the stainless filler cap/assembly and shorten the hose thereby taking some of the kink out. My guess is in assembly, someone cut this hose about an inch or two too long..

Any help appreciated. Filling up is a PAIN. The original owner used 5 gal containers with a siphon hose. I have tried funnels.. no help. one gas stations pump handles can be turned just right (upside down) to get it to pump but that is nowhere near the lake.

Thanks.
    04OUTBACK
    Madison, MS

Ya, fix the bend and make the hose no longer than necessary.
    Hope this helps
    B

Also make sure that the vent hose in unobstrtucted. This is more often the culprit with fueling issues. The tank will only fill as fast as the air can escape the tank.

Good Luck,

Dave

ps- Don't smoke while making the mods. We don't want to read about you in the Darwin Awards.

I have experienced the same thing for 3 years......I will also look into the vent hose issue.

Default Thanks for the responses

I plan to look into this sometime during winter. It seems as if it should be easier to remove the filler cap assembly to shorten the hose. When I first looked into it. I loosened the screws on the back board of the rear ski locker and could see the bend/crease in the hose. I guess I will have to do both to make sure I get it right...

Deepcove, let me know what you find out on yours.

Thanks,
    04Outback

I had mine apart today...no bend or kink in the vent hose that I could see.
    At any rate there is very easy access once you remove the back board of the rear locker...mine had 8 screws.

Deepcove...
    Thanks for the info on the access. I'll look at mine soon. it is in storage.
    There is another thread on the bulletin board https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=3577

One suggests the angle while filling affecting the air esacpe, while I dont think that is the issue with mine. I hope to resolve mine as when I peeked in there it seemed kinked. I do not enjoy the Octane shower nor the fuel running down the side of the boat to the trailer.

Good luck..
    It is going to be 75 here Saturday and I am seriously thinking of wakeboarding.. may break out the sea-doo and not have to drain the block again..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold