Default Bottom Paint for new 07 Moomba XLV

What is the best method of painting the bottom of a new boat? I will be using the boat on the northern part of Chesapeake Bay and also in salt water in Cape May NJ. The boat will remain at a dock and in the water when not in use.

Can I use Interlux Fiberglass No-Sand Primer and then apply the Interlux Micron Extra Antifouling Paint? Or is there a better method of painting the bottom? or a better product is should use?

This is all new to me so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I want to do this right the first time.

Richard

Salt water and most Inboard Ski boats do not mix well. Did you discuss this with your dealer ?

-J

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTechie
    Salt water and most Inboard Ski boats do not mix well. Did you discuss this with your dealer ?

-J
    Yes, the boat will have the optional "Fresh Water Cooling System"

That there is just funny.

The boat - IMHO will blister, paint or no paint. you can go to a high end paint (thick) but I don't think sitting in satwater is a good match for these boats.

I don't really know anything (except salt water will destroy everything it touches).

Good luck - does anyone here leave their boat in the water all summer? In saltwater?

I supose it can be done, I see a lot of I/O's but they all look like heck.

SD2

Funny you should say that, even when I go down south in the winter months any of the resorts that have DD's and Vdrives NEVER leave them in the water. They trailor them at the end of each day and wash them down with fresh water.
    I guess if you are going to leave the boat in salt water I would remove it regularily and check it for any signs of salt damage.

Good Luck

Cheers

Some reading:
    https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=2250
    https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=3300

Just having the fresh water kit is not enough - salt will get EVERYWHERE from peoples bodies, to just the spray, to waves crashing over the bow and getting to every part on the boat - the bildge, wire bundle, etc, etc. These are NOT salt-water boats - get it out of the salt water, wash it down, put CRC- corrosion protectant on every metal part of the engine, or be prepared to perform all the repair work yourself - salt corosion is not covered under warranty.

Good luck,

Joe

Default Also on salt water...

Hi..you lot got me a bit worried... have to admit it...I´m waiting for my boat and will use it in salt water,it will be on it 24 hours a day July and August, rest of the year I will use the trailer.During those months on salt water I have planned to lift it to wash the hull every two weeks, and first thing I will do when get the boat is to apply two lays of anti-osmosis product and two lays of anti- fouling..maybe that will help...also will spray the deck and cockpit with fresh water everyday i use it.
    Do you know what other products or actions should I use or do to keep the boat in a good conditions? maybe using any kind of wax would protect the deck against the salt?
    Really would appreciate all the advices you lot can give me, since i won´t have a good guarantee coverage here in Spain,no Indmar service either,just Moomba dealer-importer.

Thanks in advance to all the answers

I bought some stuff yeasr ago to try to protect my old boat from discoloration in a brown stained lake. The product was like a bee's wax. It did not not go no easy nor did it look good, but it seemed to form a permanent waterproof barrier on the hull (just on my transom). It stayed tacky then entire time it was on the boat so I would never put it where people would contact it. I think you need mineral spirits to take off. I don't recall what it was named, but I think I got it from Overtons.

Applying to the entire hull would be a huge pain, but it might help.

Dave