Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default Boat speed while filling ballast

    Has anyone figured out the highest boat speed that still allows the ballast pump intakes to draw the maximum amount of water?

    I know running above idle helps increase the voltage to the pumps and thus helps filling, but not sure at what speed the water starts flowing too quickly past the inlets to pump properly.
    2017 Moomba Helix

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    105

    Default

    My dealer says 10mph


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    105

    Default

    I typically run around 5mph


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,676

    Default

    I wonder how this works with autowake. You can always push the button at the base of the throttle to give it gas out of gear to pump up that voltage


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

    2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420.

    SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    703

    Default

    I fill under all speeds depending on what is going on...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Wylie NC Area
    Posts
    1,955

    Default

    I know running above idle helps increase the voltage to the pumps and thus helps filling
    True in theory, but likely making a difference measured in seconds.

    You can also put the shifter in neutral and bring the throttle just off idle if you need.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Conroe, TX
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    True in theory, but likely making a difference measured in seconds.

    You can also put the shifter in neutral and bring the throttle just off idle if you need.
    On my SA it’s actually a bigger difference than you’d think. And having bigger bags just amplified the issue.
    If I’m filling with the motor off I come up short by a couple hundred pounds by the timers with the Enzo bags. The nose usually takes an extra 2-3 hits of the switch (60 sec each) to finish it off if I’m going for 100% full.
    I usually fill with it running. And I’ve had them filling while cruising around 20-22mph., doesn’t seem to care.
    Overkill is underrated

    2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

    2017 Supra SA 400

  8. #8

    Default

    With Autowake and the 6 pump ballast system I fill at full speed or what ever speed we happen to be going at the time.
    2018 Supra SL550
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    With Autowake and the 6 pump ballast system I fill at full speed or what ever speed we happen to be going at the time.
    Yep—same. It only takes 7 min or so anyway.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Wylie NC Area
    Posts
    1,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    On my SA it’s actually a bigger difference than you’d think. And having bigger bags just amplified the issue.
    If I’m filling with the motor off I come up short by a couple hundred pounds by the timers with the Enzo bags. The nose usually takes an extra 2-3 hits of the switch (60 sec each) to finish it off if I’m going for 100% full.
    I usually fill with it running. And I’ve had them filling while cruising around 20-22mph., doesn’t seem to care.
    Obviously a larger sac takes longer to fill, regardless of voltage to the pump. I do not think pump flow is linear to voltage by design, but close enough. The difference between engine idle and engine off idle voltage, could be as little as 5%. So roughly .5 GPM, or 4 lb in 60 seconds.

    Id have to think hard, if this gain was worth revving my engine for that duration.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •